Jolly Word Dude Jolly Word Dude is offline
Junior Member

Default Want to apply many formatting changes across more than 1 document

Hi everyone. I basically want to do the same as a macro: I want to "record" my formatting changes, and then I want to be able to open another document, click a button (or something similar), and have those exact same formatting changes apply.

It seems as though macros can only do this for new documents, not for ones already created. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Correct. To apply the format of an existing document to a new document,
you create a new template (alongside normal.dotx, or normal.dotm if it
has macros), but you can't simply apply new formatting wholesale to an
existing document. You have to go paragraph style by paragraph style.

One of the selling points for FrameMaker, nearly 30 years ago, was that
you could_ do that. I doubt whether its inferior successor, InDesign,
can do that. (Adobe bought FrameMaker to kill it off so that the inferior
InDesign might have a chance.)

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 9:31:06 AM UTC-5, Jolly Word Dude wrote:
Hi everyone. I basically want to do the same as a macro: I want to
"record" my formatting changes, and then I want to be able to open
another document, click a button (or something similar), and have those
exact same formatting changes apply.

It seems as though macros can only do this for new documents, not for
ones already created. Is this possible?

Jolly Word Dude Jolly Word Dude is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. That sucks. You would think this feature would have been added ages ago.