Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Deborah Zotian - MOS

Default Data source disconnects across different versions

We have people using various versions of Word (XP, 2003, 2000). All use the
same database and templates for a mail merge done quarterly. Lately, the data
source has been disconnecting. We can reconnect, but if someone goes in again
later, it may or may not disconnect.

Is the issue the multiple versions of the software or is there a known issue
I just can't find in the KB library?

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Is the issue the multiple versions of the software or is there a known
issue
I just can't find in the KB library?

It could be either. (Word's behaviour in this area changed radically
between Word 2000 and Word 2002/3 and to an extent between 2002/2003, and as
a result of security updates made in SPs etc.), so I would not expect you to
be able to copy a Word 2003 template to Word 2000 and use it successfully
without change, or vice versa, but once you have got a particular template
to work with Word 2000 I would expect it to carry on working with Word 2000,
and the same for a template you had got working with Word 2003. If something
has stopped working, it is probably because of a recent update.

Another possibility is that a change has been made to your data source
database configuration (what type of database are you using?), e.g. to
restrict the number of simultaneous users, or to change a timeout of some
kind.

If you are making connections programmatically, you must take account of the
following KB article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document - 825765 at:

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

but it doesn't sound like that is the issue in your case.

Peter Jamieson

"Deborah Zotian - MOS" wrote in
message ...
We have people using various versions of Word (XP, 2003, 2000). All use
the
same database and templates for a mail merge done quarterly. Lately, the
data
source has been disconnecting. We can reconnect, but if someone goes in
again
later, it may or may not disconnect.

Is the issue the multiple versions of the software or is there a known
issue
I just can't find in the KB library?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Deborah Zotian - MOS Deborah Zotian - MOS is offline

Peter:

I thank you for your help. The database is an Excel spreadsheet and is not
shared, so only one person can work on it at a time.

I'm going to insist on the IT department updating everyone to the same
version of Office. I'm convinced this will take care of the issue.

I would love to say this is closed and that you helped me, but the buttons
don't seem to be working! Thank you again.

Debbie