Default Carriage returns vs. line breaks - help please.

Don't press Enter at the end of each line. Instead, let Word wrap the text
naturally. Press Enter only at the end of a paragraph. Your email client
will insert line breaks as needed, inserting two lines breaks for every
paragraph break. If you want the text in Word to have the appearance of a
blank line between paragraphs, press Ctrl+0 to add 12 points Space Before.
This will not affect the way the mail client treats the text.

"Jacinda Romy" wrote in message
I seem to be having difficulty when I use Word as my email editor. To
make a new paragraph I hit enter twice and to just go to the next line
I hit enter once. The problem is that when I send this email to
friends, they see either 2 spaces or 1 space. The only way I can
refrain from making a space is by doing a line break (shift enter).

Is there any way that I can set up Word 2003 so it continues to look
the same when I hit enter once or twice but hitting it one time equals
a line break and two times equals a carriage return? Does this make
sense? This would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help me with
this.

Thanking you in advance,
Jacinda R.

Daiya Mitchell

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough. I do
indeed let Word wrap the text naturally.

Then why are you entering line breaks at all? I'm confused.

I'm not sure why MS has done this. It's frustrating that when
Wordmail is set to its default settings when I hit enter once, to me
it looks like a line break but to anyone I send it to it looks like a
paragraph break. When I hit enter twice to create a "new paragraph"
for me I'm actually inadvertently creating 2 paragraph breaks for my
poor recipients and the formatting they receive looks ridiculous.
Surely MS didn't mean to do this?

No, they did mean to. Because hitting enter once *is* a paragraph break, so
of course it will look like a paragraph break to everyone else. Word does
not want you to use an empty paragraph to create the appearance of space, it
wants you to use Space Before or Space After. A paragraph is a paragraph,
empty or not.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/