Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenC JenC is offline

Default Tracked changes: show as "moved" instead of inserted/deleted

Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved", instead
of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...word-2007.aspx)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Track Changes Options, do you have "Keep Track of Moves"
checked?

Did you move a complete sentence or more?

Were there any tracked changes in the sentence you moved?

(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...6/10/13/nice-m...)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

On Oct 15, 7:50*pm, JenC wrote:
Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved", instead
of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...6/10/13/nice-m...)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?

JenC,

Since your post makes it clear that you have done some research about
this feature I will risk assuming that have it turned on and that you
have attempted to move complete sentences so I won't waste your time
with questions.

Previously when Mr. Danilels asked about this very same feature and
behavior he provided no hint whatsover, that he may have it turned on
or that he had attempted to move entire sentences. He answered a
similiar question with a terse "Of course!"

It is perfectly understandable if you find his smug and arrogant
techniques offensive.

I feel that Micorsoft could have done a better job with with because
if the sentence you are trying to move contains unaccepted changes
then the move will be marked as an insertion at the new location. If
you first accept changess in the sentence you going to move, then the
move will be moved accordingly. Not ideal, but that's the way it is.

Good luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U.

You see, JenC, Cdr. (U.S.N., ret.) Gregory K. Maxey wishes he were
still in a position to boss people around (and even though he resigned
his "commission" from the MVP program, his webpage is still hosted
there), and has limited ability to comprehend the questions that
people actually ask, but instead looks for any opportunity to do what
he calls "spank" _me_. And why this vendetta? Because, nearly two
years ago, he responded to a question on this newsgroup with a rude
remark, I "spanked" him by wondering whether rude remarks were
appropriate from someone in the positionof MVP, and he demanded that I
apologize for calling him out on making a rude remark.

Note that he further ASSUMEs that I have never tried the (seriously
deficient) "Track Moves" "feature" (actually bug) in Word2007, and
moreover (having provided no reference) apparently invented a
fictional response supposed to have been made by me.

Since Cdr. (Ret.) Maxey seems not to have understood your question,
I'll respond even more explicitly, entirely for his benefit.

If you have "Track Moves" turned on in the Track Changes Options, then
the moved material will appear in green double strikethrough in the
old position, and in green double underline in the new position
(unless you've changed those parameters). HOWEVER, if you try to Move
less than a full sentence; or if you try to Move even a full sentence
that already contains tracked changes, you will not get a tracked
Move; and if, after you do a tracked Move you decide you don't want
the passage moved, you can't Reject the move with the Reject button,
and if you change something in a Moved sentence, the change will not
be Tracked.

On Oct 16, 6:26*am, Greg Maxey wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:50*pm, JenC wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

My what diatribe. So let's see Mr. Daniels, you now ASSUME to know what I
wish for.

While completely immaterial, not only are you ignorant concerning my wishes,
you are also ignorant about the host service for my website. Despite what
you think you know, the Micorosoft MVP program and MVPS.org are not the
same. Considering the ignorance you typically display in this forum,
outside your extremely limited range of language expertise, one could
conclude that you are simply ignorant.

I made no claim that you had never tried Track Moves. Quite the contrary.
I said that when you once posted about problems with the same feature you
made a terse reply when someone else responded to your post with a question.

You seek a reference? Seek no further::
http://groups.google.com/group/micro....public.word.*

If you are honest you will not deny that was you when you posted and hid
behind the clown's name "grammatim."

You took offense then at Ms. Fredborg's rhetorical question. So why do you
adopt a manner that you find offensive when you asked your rhetorical
questions here? I know why and so do you. It's your unbridled arrogance
and smug sense of superiority.

Considering JenC's statement and question, your first two questions were
simply stupid.

"However, when I try it (moving an entire sentence to another position in
the same paragraph), it still marks it as an insertion/deletion. Did they
remove this feature?"

Or is it you that has comprehension difficulties? Or did you just skip over
that part as is often the case considering your habit of "ASSUMING" that
everyone who posts an original question here is a complete imbecile or
"newbie?"

Happy spankings ;-)

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Now we know exactly how dishonest Cdr. (Ret.) Maxey is.

That is _precisely_ the thread, _initiated by me_, in which I asked a
question similar to JenC's, and the "of course not!" replied to
someone wondering whether I was using a document that was not in
Word2007 format.

And I did not choose then for google groups to display my name as
grammatim, and I did not choose now for google groups to display my
name as Peter T. Daniels. That behavior was not under my control.

Treating a moved sentence as an insertion+deletion rather than as a
green Move is _precisely_ the behavior that would be seen if "Track
Moves" had _not_ been selected (and "Track Moves" is not selected by
default). JenC reported that she had _seen a discussion_ of "Move" and
thus knew that it existed. She did not indicate that she knew she
needed to turn it on to see what would happen.

Admit it, Cdr. (Ret.) Maxey, your irrational compulsion to stalk and
harass me overcame whatever knowledge you may have had of the "Move"
feature, forcing you to post a superfluous (and, in its last
paragraph, if anyone bothered to read past the diatribe, redundant)
paragraph, just to hear yourself vent -- and all because you won't
admit that it was inappropriate to post a rude remark in response to
an innocent question.

You seek a reference? Seek no further::http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cmanagement/br...

On Oct 15, 7:50 pm, JenC wrote:

[...]

for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Oct 15, 7:50*pm, JenC wrote:
Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved", instead
of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...6/10/13/nice-m...)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?

JenC,

I’ll leave Mr. Daniels to foam at the mouth, and try to provide a
better answer to your questions:

Yes. While the feature does not work as we might intuitively think it
should or like we might wish it did, if used in a specific manner you
can get a track changes to show a sentence moved rather than deleted
and inserted elsewhere. No. The feature has not been removed.

Some points for use:

1. The text unit you wish to move must be a complete sentence unit.
This can be a single word or heading that Word recognizes as a
sentence.

2. The text unit can not contain unaccepted changes (e.g., deletions
or insertions).

3. Mr. Daniels is wrong. Moved text can be restored to its former
location using the “Reject” button or by right clicking the move
balloon and checking “reject” move.

4. Mr. Daniels is wrong again. Changes (e.g., insertions or deletions)
made in moved text will be annotated.

Since pictures seldom lie, I have posted one illustrating these
points, purely for Mr. Daniel’s benefit. See: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Poor_peter.htm

If you would like I can send you an actual document showing these
examples.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Mr. Daniels,

Do you ever check your facts? Here you are foaming at the mouth over what I
might or might not know about track moves and you post:

"...and if, after you do a tracked Move you decide you don't want the
passage moved, you can't Reject the move with the Reject button, and if you
change something in a Moved sentence, the change will not
be Tracked."

You're wrong Mr. Daniels. Continue in your arguments as you like, you are
still wrong and as arrogant about it as ever.

Cheers.

On Oct 15, 7:50 pm, JenC wrote:

[...]

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them
better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is
marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who knows
the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a
worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high
achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while
daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." - TR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Oct 16, 3:17*pm, Greg Maxey wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:50*pm, JenC wrote:

Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved", instead
of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...6/10/13/nice-m....)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?

JenC,

I’ll leave Mr. Daniels to foam at the mouth, and try to provide a
better answer to your questions:

Yes. While the feature does not work as we might intuitively think it
should or like we might wish it did, if used in a specific manner you
can get a track changes to show a sentence moved rather than deleted
and inserted elsewhere. No. The feature has not been removed.

--the most basic response to the original question being, You need to
turn it on within Track Changes Options -- it is not turned on "out of
the box" (as I said).

Some points for use:

1. The text unit you wish to move must be a complete sentence unit.
This can be a single word or heading that Word recognizes as a
sentence.

--as I said.

2. The text unit can not contain unaccepted changes (e.g., deletions
or insertions).

--as I said.

3. Mr. Daniels is wrong. Moved text can be restored to its former
location using the “Reject” button or by right clicking the move
balloon and checking “reject” move.

--This has changed since I tried to use "Move" when I initiated the
intial thread that Cdr. (Ret.) Maxey so distortingly referenced.
Presumably the change was made in one of the periodic Updates.

4. Mr. Daniels is wrong again. Changes (e.g., insertions or deletions)
made in moved text will be annotated.

--ditto. Moreover, when one tries to Reject a Move with Changes, a box
opens asking whether to keep the original text or the changed text in
the old location.

Since pictures seldom lie, I have posted one illustrating these
points, purely for Mr. Daniel’s benefit. See:http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Poor_peter.htm

Who is "Mr. Daniel"?

If you would like I can send you an actual document showing these
examples.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Who is "Mr. Daniel"?

Ever village has its idiot. Could it be he?

On Oct 15, 7:50 pm, JenC wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Who has assumed that they know all? Who has assumed that Microsoft never
fixes problems introduced with new features? Who has assumed that since
they once experienced a problem with a feature and learned something about
its behavior in the process that they could then pontificate on its
workings and shortcomings? In view of the assumptions you have posted here
one may conclude that it is U in ASSUME after all.

Do you ever check your assumptions posted as facts? Apparently not.

Cheers.

On Oct 15, 7:50 pm, JenC wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenC JenC is offline

I think I found the solution to this...make sure the option is turned on in
the track changes options.

The document I was working on was in compatibility mode, so the option
wasn't available.

"JenC" wrote:

Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved", instead
of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...word-2007.aspx)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

JenC,

Good. I am glad it is working for you. Despite the dustups between Mr.
Daniels and I, perhaps we all have learned a little something from this
post.

"JenC" wrote:

Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved",
instead of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...word-2007.aspx)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving
an entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it
still marks it as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this
feature?

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] is offline

Fourteen posts and what have we learned?

1. The "Track Moves" functionality in Microsoft Word 2007 only works under
very special circumstances. Some of the conditions under which it does *not*
work include: working with documents in compatibility mode; "moving" less
than a full sentence (or anything that Word doesn't recognise as a full
sentence); "moving" content that already contains tracked changes; "moving"
content when the option to "Keep Track of Moves" is not selected.

2. "Moves" can be accepted or rejected just like any other tracked change,
and additional edits made within "moved" content are tracked as well.

3. The "Track Moves" functionality in the latest version of Word 2007 isn't
perfect and doesn't always work the way one might expect it to. However, it
has been improved since it was first introduced, and it will probably
continue to be improved over time.

4. Like all of us CDR Gregory K. Maxey, formerly of the USN, makes
mistakes, but when he does at least he has the decency to admit that he's
made a mistake, atone for his error, and ask forgiveness.

5. Peter T. Daniels is still an arrogant, opinionated, pedantic, pig-headed
troll who causes more problems than he solves, researches his responses
poorly, refuses to admit when he's wrong, argues off the point in a pitiful
attempt to make himself look better, and generally makes this newsgroup an
unpleasant place to look for help.

6. In spite of all this, somehow JenC still managed to get an answer to her
question without getting caught up in all of the BS created by the
aforementioned troll. She showed remarkable patience, wasn't offended by the
mistakes others might have made whilst trying to help her, and (as yet)
hasn't flamed said troll for being so rude and arrogant in his last post to
her.

Questions that remain outstanding:

1. Who is 'Mr. Daniel'? (But then who really cares?)

2. What is the name of the village that is apparently still missing its
idiot?
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
(I expect soon to be "Former") Word MVP

"JenC" wrote in message
Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved",
instead
of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...word-2007.aspx)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks
it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] pourya.salehi@gmail.com is offline

Maybe it's due to compatibility. Go to file tab and when it is opened, the first in the list will be Info. You can find the first element under info with the name of "Convert". If you convert your file, new features including track moves (under Track Changes Option) will be enabled. Then you can go to Track Change advanced option and check "track moves" and define your favorite color for that action.