Ben Wallace

Default How do I fix the Normal template?

My normal template is creating new documents with no margin at the top of the
page (so the cursor starts right at the top).

How do I fix this? When I insert a page number the margin comes back, but I
don't want to have to do this every time I start a new doc.

Can I download the Normal.dot template from somewhere?
Mary

Just delete it after closing Word. It's hidden, so make sure you can see
hidden and system files. When you reopen Word, it will create a new
Normal.dot with the default settings.

"Ben Wallace" wrote:

My normal template is creating new documents with no margin at the top of the
page (so the cursor starts right at the top).

How do I fix this? When I insert a page number the margin comes back, but I
don't want to have to do this every time I start a new doc.

Can I download the Normal.dot template from somewhere?

Doug Robbins

There's nothing wrong with your Normal.dot template.

Move the mouse to the top of the page until the mouse pointer changes to two
vertically opposed arrows with the text tip "Show white space" Left click
and the top and bottom margins of your pages will be displayed.

This can also be controlled via ToolsOptionsView.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Ben Wallace" Ben wrote in message
My normal template is creating new documents with no margin at the top of
the
page (so the cursor starts right at the top).

How do I fix this? When I insert a page number the margin comes back, but
don't want to have to do this every time I start a new doc.

Can I download the Normal.dot template from somewhere?

We never recommend deleting Normal.dot, which will result in loss of
customizations that may have been built up over years. Renaming is
sufficient--but in this case entirely unnecessary; see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/WhiteSpace.htm