Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle Michelle is offline

Default figure caption inserts wrong information

I'm working in a 6 chapter document, and got my chapter numbers linked to the
outline function in word so I can name my figures beginning with the chapter
number, and also linked the chapter numbers to Heading2.
Insertreferencecaption worked correctly for Chapter 1 figures, but for
Chapter 2 and beyond, in the caption dialog box, it appears that the figure
label will be correct, ie: figure 2.6, but when I insert, the chapter number
is replaced with 0 - ie: 0.6. I can't figure this out and it's driving me
mad!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you saying that the captions themselves are correct but not the
cross-reference fields? What happens if you select the document and then
press F9 to update all fields?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"michelle" wrote:

I'm working in a 6 chapter document, and got my chapter numbers linked to the
outline function in word so I can name my figures beginning with the chapter
number, and also linked the chapter numbers to Heading2.
Insertreferencecaption worked correctly for Chapter 1 figures, but for
Chapter 2 and beyond, in the caption dialog box, it appears that the figure
label will be correct, ie: figure 2.6, but when I insert, the chapter number
is replaced with 0 - ie: 0.6. I can't figure this out and it's driving me
mad!

jonesd jonesd is offline
Junior Member

Was this issue resolved? I am having the exact same problem. Figures in one chapter are labeled fine, but figures in later chapters have chapter "0" as the number (e.g. Figure 0.1). Also worth noting, in the "insert caption" dialog box, in the text field under caption, it will correctly have "Figure 4.1" for example, but then when I click OK it will place "Figure 0.1" under the figure.

Please help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom View Post

"michelle" wrote:

I'm working in a 6 chapter document, and got my chapter numbers linked to the
outline function in word so I can name my figures beginning with the chapter
number, and also linked the chapter numbers to Heading2.
Insertreferencecaption worked correctly for Chapter 1 figures, but for
Chapter 2 and beyond, in the caption dialog box, it appears that the figure
label will be correct, ie: figure 2.6, but when I insert, the chapter number
is replaced with 0 - ie: 0.6. I can't figure this out and it's driving me
mad!
Toby82 Toby82 is offline
Junior Member

I have the same problem, please help
Toby82 Toby82 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby82 View Post
I have the same problem, please help
If anyone has a sloution , kindly reply, or how i can connect MS word support to tell them the problem

Toby82 Toby82 is offline
Junior Member

Post

All praise is due to ALLAH alone, Lord of all the worlds

I found the solution, Allah guides me after praying

the numbering for example becomes 0-1 instead of 2-1, so how caption take number 0, when caption go to read the chapter heading style, it see the a hidden heading style,

just go to "view" tab and go to "show" section, then check "Navigation pane", u will see all heading and subheading in ur document, u will see a blank heading after each chapter heading, omit it by right click then delete, or backspace in ur document in the appropriate place after chapter heading to delete it.

If u have a long document, u should check all figures and tables links after doing ctrl+A then press F9
I hope that is useful, i tried it

with my greeting

Last edited by Toby82 : October 14th 12 at 01:31 PM Reason: adding
Minqi Minqi is offline
Junior Member

Smile

After a whole night no sleep, finally found out how to solve MY problem regarding the same symptom.

My problem is that I didn't set "number" to my Heading 1. In order to set that, on my Microsoft Word 365, I need did the following:

1. Right click "heading 1", select "modify"

2. Click on the drop-down menu on the left bottom corner.

3. Select "number"

4. Change from "none" to "Chapter, 1, 1, 1, ..."

5. Reset all existing "Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3..." make sure the newly entered chapters are formatted to the "heading 1" that has changed its number setting to the "chapter..." thing.

All above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post