Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
anne anne is offline

Default Word adds blank page when "different odd and even" selected.

Hi All,

I have a 8 page document set up as a book fold. The pages are setup as
follows:

1/8 = Cover page (+section break)
2/8 = Inside Cover (+section break)
3/8 = Table of Contents (+section break)
4/8 = Chapter 1 start (+Page Break)
5/8 = Chapter 2 start (+Page Break)
6/8 = Chapter 3 start (+Page Break)
7/8 = Chapter 4 start (+section break)
8/8 = Back Cover

When I try to change the page setup of Chapter 1 and tick "Different odd and
even" for the page headers and footers all of the sudden word puts in an
extra blank page which can only be seen in print preview. The status bar now
reads 1/9 instead of 1/8.

This has been driving me bonkers. How do I fix this?

Anne.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Check your section breaks. By the sound of it one of them has been changed
from 'next page' to 'next even' or 'next odd'.

"Anne" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a 8 page document set up as a book fold. The pages are setup as
follows:

1/8 = Cover page (+section break)
2/8 = Inside Cover (+section break)
3/8 = Table of Contents (+section break)
4/8 = Chapter 1 start (+Page Break)
5/8 = Chapter 2 start (+Page Break)
6/8 = Chapter 3 start (+Page Break)
7/8 = Chapter 4 start (+section break)
8/8 = Back Cover

When I try to change the page setup of Chapter 1 and tick "Different odd
and
even" for the page headers and footers all of the sudden word puts in an
extra blank page which can only be seen in print preview. The status bar
now
reads 1/9 instead of 1/8.

This has been driving me bonkers. How do I fix this?

Anne.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
anne anne is offline

I checked the section breaks and they are all either "Next Page" or "Page
Break". None are "Next Even" or "Next Odd".

Any more ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

1. Where does the blank page get inserted (ie between which two pages)?
2. Does it have anything on it?

If the inserted page is completely blank (no headers or footers), then it IS
inserted as a result of a section break (there's nothing else that inserts
completely blank pages in the print version of the document). Try switching
to normal view and check that you don't have two consecutive section breaks.

"Anne" wrote in message
I checked the section breaks and they are all either "Next Page" or "Page
Break". None are "Next Even" or "Next Odd".

Any more ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
anne anne is offline

1. Where does the blank page get inserted (ie between which two pages)?

In Print Preview, the blank page is inserted in between the Cover Page 1/8
and the Inside Cover 2/8.

2. Does it have anything on it?
Try switching
to normal view and check that you don't have two consecutive section breaks.

The normal view looks like this:

FRONT COVER
:::: Section Break (Next Page) ::::
Inside Cover
:::: Section Break (Next Page) ::::
Table Of Contents
:::: Section Break (Next Page) ::::
Chapter 1
..... Page Break ....
Chapter 2
..... Page Break ....
Chapter 3
..... Page Break ....
Chapter 4
:::: Section Break (Next Page) ::::
Back Cover

It's got me gazumped.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Try deleting all your section breaks. Check that you have no spurious pages.
Then re-insert them one by one.

"Anne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See also http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
anne anne is offline

Try deleting all your section breaks. Check that you have no spurious pages.
Then re-insert them one by one.

I just tried the following and noticed an intersting result.

* Deleted all section breaks.
* reinserted section breaks and everything seemed ok (showing 1/8 pages)

When I view the page header on page 4 and insert a page number (starting at
1) and press ok, it says I now have 9 pages and it inserts a blank page in
between page 3 and 4.

If however, I make it starting from page 2, it says I have 8 pages which is
correct. Is this an odd page numbering thing? Is it not possible to do what
I want and that is to start an even page from page 1?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
anne anne is offline

Ok. I believe I have found the problem.

If I try to start the numbering of an even page with an odd number (1 for
example) then word will insert a blank page.

So to get around it I have intentionally added a blank page when I want to
do this.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Word wants odd-numbered pages to have an odd page header (which makes
sense); that's why it adds the filler page.

If you clear the "Different odd and even" option, you can restart page
numbering without getting an extra page.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne" wrote in message
Ok. I believe I have found the problem.

If I try to start the numbering of an even page with an odd number

(1 for
example) then word will insert a blank page.

So to get around it I have intentionally added a blank page when I

want to
do this.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Word wants odd-numbered pages to have an odd page header (which

makes
sense); that's why it adds the filler page.

If you clear the "Different odd and even" option, you can restart

page
numbering without getting an extra page.

You would also have to clear the "Mirror margins" to make this work.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne" wrote in message
Ok. I believe I have found the problem.

If I try to start the numbering of an even page with an odd number

(1 for
example) then word will insert a blank page.

So to get around it I have intentionally added a blank page when I

want to
do this.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

But "Mirror margins" is on by default (and can't be turned off) when you are
using "Book fold." Note also that the mirror margins are backward; if your
inside and outside margins are uneven, you'll need to reverse them to get
them to turn out right.

"Anne" wrote in message
Ok. I believe I have found the problem.

If I try to start the numbering of an even page with an odd number

(1 for
example) then word will insert a blank page.

So to get around it I have intentionally added a blank page when I

want to
do this.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Good point. I didn't notice that the "Book fold" option was being
used. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But "Mirror margins" is on by default (and can't be turned off) when

you are
using "Book fold." Note also that the mirror margins are backward;

if your
inside and outside margins are uneven, you'll need to reverse them

to get
them to turn out right.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.