Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Damncold Damncold is offline

Default Word 2007 - Page Number options grayed out

I am trying to insert a Page Number in a Word 2007 Footer.
Regardless of which option I choose (Top of Page, Bottom of Page, etc.) all
the options are grayed out. Ideas?

And can someone at MS tell me why they made a once simple process so arcane?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word 2007 - Page Number options grayed out

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble inserting page numbers in Word 2007. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

Step-by-step guide:
  1. Make sure that you're in Print Layout view. You can switch to this view by clicking on the View tab and selecting Print Layout from the Views group.
  2. Make sure that you have a footer section in your document. You can do this by clicking on the Insert tab, selecting Footer from the Header & Footer group, and choosing a footer style.
  3. Once you have a footer section, double-click on it to open the footer. Then, click on the Insert tab and select Page Number from the Header & Footer group. You should see a drop-down menu with various page number options.
  4. If the options are still grayed out, it's possible that your document is protected. You can check this by clicking on the Review tab and looking for the Protect Document button in the Protect group. If it's highlighted, click on it and select Restrict Formatting and Editing. Then, make sure that the Allow only this type of editing in the document option is unchecked.

As for your question about why Microsoft made the process more complicated, I can't speak for them. However, I do know that Word has evolved over the years to include more features and options, which can sometimes make things more complex. That being said, I hope this helps you insert page numbers in your document!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

It could be an issue with Building Blocks.dotx, the location of the gallery
entries you see.

You can find it at:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Document
Building Blocks\1033

Exit Word, locate Building Blocks.dot either move it out of the folder or
delete it. Renaming this file will not work as Word will load it the first
time you access a gallery. Then start Word and see if Page
Number gallery is available.

Also note Building Blocks.dotx located in the Office installation path
(under Program Files) should not be deleted. This is the master copy that is
used to create your personal copy found in your profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Damncold" wrote in message
I am trying to insert a Page Number in a Word 2007 Footer.
Regardless of which option I choose (Top of Page, Bottom of Page, etc.)
all
the options are grayed out. Ideas?

And can someone at MS tell me why they made a once simple process so
arcane?

mrclymer mrclymer is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Melton View Post

"Damncold" wrote in message
I am trying to insert a Page Number in a Word 2007 Footer.
Regardless of which option I choose (Top of Page, Bottom of Page, etc.)
all
the options are grayed out. Ideas?

And can someone at MS tell me why they made a once simple process so
arcane?
Thank you for the info. This thread is really helpful.

I have this issue with any new user profiles on my machines. i can delete the building blocks.docx and the function works file, what do i need to do so that all my windows profiles have a working and correct building blocks.docx file so that i don't have to delete it every time there is an issue? Does that make sense?

Mike C.
artabove artabove is offline
Junior Member

Hi, I too suddenly cannot insert page numbers as options are now grayed out in Word 2007. This question was asked before but the answers were way over my head. Below is the previous answer, then I'll add my questions on how to DO the answer you gave. Please give step-by-step instructions.

YOUR ANSWER:
"Exit Word and then rename the Building Blocks.dotx file in your *user profile* (there is also a copy in the Program Files folder which you shouldn't mess with). You can search for the file in Windows; be sure to search hidden files and folders.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP"

MY QUESTIONS TO CLARIFY YOUR ANSWER:
1. Where IS the "User Profile" - I cannot find it.
2. Windows cannot find Building Blocks.dotX. Also cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033, which was given in another response to same problem. Please tell me exactly how to get TO Building Blocks.dotx since the above don't work.
3. I don't know HOW to search "hidden" files. Please explain.
4. Re BUILDING BLOCKS.DOTX, another person's answer said, "Renaming this file will not work as Word will load it the first time you access a gallery." So do I move it? (If yes, where to?) Delete it? OR stick with renaming it?
---
Thank you,
Chava LeBarton

---