Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Radar Radar is offline

Default a hidden character that looks like a degree symbol in MS Word docu

When I click the Show/Hide paragraph button on the toolbar, in order to
display the normally hidden paragraph markers, I can see a hidden character
that looks like a degree symbol that acts like a space within the document.
How do I search for this character within my document so that I can do a
Search and Replace on it t oreplace it with a "real space", thereby removing
all such characters from my document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

What you're seeing is a non-breaking space: useful for things like the
spaces within a phone number, that are not appropriate places for a line
break.

Use ^s to search for it using Find and Replace.

"Radar" wrote in message
When I click the Show/Hide paragraph button on the toolbar, in order to
display the normally hidden paragraph markers, I can see a hidden
character
that looks like a degree symbol that acts like a space within the
document.
How do I search for this character within my document so that I can do a
Search and Replace on it t oreplace it with a "real space", thereby
removing
all such characters from my document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The degree symbol represents a nonbreaking space (you can create one
yourself by pressing Ctrl+Shift+SpaceBar).

If you want to search for nonbreaking spaces, use ^s in the Find and
Replace dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Radar" wrote in message
When I click the Show/Hide paragraph button on the toolbar, in order

display the normally hidden paragraph markers, I can see a hidden

character
that looks like a degree symbol that acts like a space within the

document.
How do I search for this character within my document so that I can

do a
Search and Replace on it t oreplace it with a "real space", thereby

removing
all such characters from my document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Jezebel and Stefan have told you, it's a nonbreaking space. For tips on
recognizing this and many other nonprinting characters, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm