Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

Default Works won't open in Word...

Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps (Microsoft
Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word 2000 but when I open
the document only gibberish appears. I also tried opening the file in
WordPad to no avail. Is there another way to access the document? Is it
possible the file somehow got corrupted?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuck Davis

Silas,

Save the file to your hard drive. Change the .wps to .doc and try to open it
in Word.
"silas" wrote in message
news
Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps
(Microsoft Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word 2000
but when I open the document only gibberish appears. I also tried opening
the file in WordPad to no avail. Is there another way to access the
document? Is it possible the file somehow got corrupted?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

I'm afraid that didn't work either. First it said something about being
unable to open the file, then asked if I wanted to install some Word feature
to enable opening it. When I clicked Yes it still opened as little squares
and symbols.

silas

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message
Silas,

Save the file to your hard drive. Change the .wps to .doc and try to open
it in Word.
"silas" wrote in message
news
Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps
(Microsoft Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word 2000
but when I open the document only gibberish appears. I also tried
opening the file in WordPad to no avail. Is there another way to access
the document? Is it possible the file somehow got corrupted?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Can you forward the original document over to me? I've had some success with
that. If you can, send it to jl dot paules at gmail dot com.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"silas" wrote in message
news
Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps
(Microsoft Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word 2000
but when I open the document only gibberish appears. I also tried opening
the file in WordPad to no avail. Is there another way to access the
document? Is it possible the file somehow got corrupted?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

You have to have the converter installed for the Works version that created
the document - all the older converters are linked from the downloads page
of my web site. Only the most recent comes with Word.

silas wrote:
I'm afraid that didn't work either. First it said something about
being unable to open the file, then asked if I wanted to install some
Word feature to enable opening it. When I clicked Yes it still opened
as little squares and symbols.

silas

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message
Silas,

Save the file to your hard drive. Change the .wps to .doc and try to
open it in Word.
"silas" wrote in message
news
Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps
(Microsoft Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word
2000 but when I open the document only gibberish appears. I also
tried opening the file in WordPad to no avail. Is there another way
to access the document? Is it possible the file somehow got
corrupted? Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

Graham, thank you very much, that worked. I actually had to go to the
Microsoft site to download works632.cnv but no everything is displaying
fine.

Much appreciated.

silas

silas wrote:
I'm afraid that didn't work either. First it said something about
being unable to open the file, then asked if I wanted to install some
Word feature to enable opening it. When I clicked Yes it still opened
as little squares and symbols.

silas

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message
Silas,

Save the file to your hard drive. Change the .wps to .doc and try to
open it in Word.
"silas" wrote in message
news Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps
(Microsoft Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word
2000 but when I open the document only gibberish appears. I also
tried opening the file in WordPad to no avail. Is there another way
to access the document? Is it possible the file somehow got
corrupted? Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

JoAnn, thanks for your kind offer but I downloaded the necessary files from
the MS site to effectuate the conversion.

silas

"silas" wrote in message
news
Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps
(Microsoft Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word 2000
but when I open the document only gibberish appears. I also tried
opening the file in WordPad to no avail. Is there another way to access
the document? Is it possible the file somehow got corrupted?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Okie dokie :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

. ..

"silas" wrote in message
news
Hi. A friend sent me a text document he created which has a .wps
(Microsoft Works Word Processor) extension. I have Works with Word 2000
but when I open the document only gibberish appears. I also tried
opening the file in WordPad to no avail. Is there another way to access
the document? Is it possible the file somehow got corrupted?

Thanks.

silas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

silas wrote:
...effectuate...

Blimey! That's a good word; I think you've inventuated it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

He's been listening to the speeches of George W

wrote:
silas wrote:
...effectuate...

Blimey! That's a good word; I think you've inventuated it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

effectuate- efˇfecˇtuˇate [i fékchoo ŕyt]
transitive verb

Definition: accomplish something: to do, cause, or accomplish something (
formal ).

No George W. I've probably been reading too much P. D. James and Robert B.
Parker lately.

wrote:
silas wrote:
...effectuate...

Blimey! That's a good word; I think you've inventuated it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

silas wrote:

effectuate- efˇfecˇtuˇate [i fékchoo ŕyt]
transitive verb

Definition: accomplish something: to do, cause, or accomplish something (
formal ).

I stand corrected, but I would always simply use 'effect' (and not
affect, of course). Why use the more ponderous word? What dictionary,
by the way? That word is not in any of my references.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
silas

The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition,
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, Webster's Online Dictionary, among
others.

I wasn't trying to be ponderous, I just used the first word that came to
mind. As I mentioned I might have been unconsciously influenced by the
authors I'm currently reading. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

silas

wrote in message ...
silas wrote:

effectuate- efˇfecˇtuˇate [i fékchoo ŕyt]
transitive verb

Definition: accomplish something: to do, cause, or accomplish something (
formal ).

I stand corrected, but I would always simply use 'effect' (and not
affect, of course). Why use the more ponderous word? What dictionary,
by the way? That word is not in any of my references.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Silas and all

Ahah! (I thought) American distortion of English, I thought. I work as
an editor in Australia and am also a Pom. Anyway, had another look at
the Oxford dictionary I often use and... it was there, albeit right at
the end of the reference to 'effect'. So apologies for doubting the
word but I'm glad you seem to agree it's ponderous. A good rule is
always use the simplest word that fully conveys the meaning. (gets off
soapbox).