Apply a filter in a Word table to view certain records

Old November 30th 06, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg

Default Apply a filter in a Word table to view certain records

I think the closest you can come to a filter function without making any VBA
programming is to use the sort functionality in Table Sort.

You do not need to select the entire table before sorting. Just click
anywhere in the table to position the insertion marker before you select
Table Sort.

When you want to find, e.g., all items assigned to a certain person, sort on
the column that contains the name/initials/ID information, sort by *text*.
All rows will still be there but the items will be grouped according to your
sort criteria.

If you need to be able to return to a certain order of your table rows, you
could add a column, e.g. to the left in the table, and enter sequential
numbers (use 1, 2, 3, etc.) in that column. The numbers need to be normal
text, not fields that would be changed if you change the row order and update
fields. When you want to return to your original row order, sort by that
numbered column, sort by *number* (if you sort by text, 11 would come before
2, etc.).

In order to make it faster to change the sort order, you could assign a
keyboard shortcut to the Sort command. See Word help on “Assign or remove a
shortcut key” if needed (in the Customize Keyboard dialog box, select “Table”
in the Categories list, select “TableSort” in the Commands list).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Ferdie" wrote:

I want to use a Word table for status tracking of agenda items during
follow-up meetings. Each item is assigned to a specific person/code. I want
to know if I can in this table have a feature such as the Auto filter feature
in Excel or an Access table.

Reason for not using Excel - cannot bullet items in a single cell.
Using Office 2003.

Old May 1st 15, 06:29 AM
Christopher Rath Christopher Rath is offline

I realize that I'm replying to a very old message, but I wanted to alert anyone encountering this old thread that I recently wrote a basic AutoFilter for MS Word Add-In. The add-in can be found at http://rath.ca/Misc/VBA/VBA_Word.html