\* MERGEFORMAT error

Old May 3rd 06, 09:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default \* MERGEFORMAT error

I am constructing a document which requires me to import sections from other
documents, in so doing I have found that the command \* MERGEFORMAT has been
inserted into my document and instead of being 74 pages in total I now have
220 of which about 130 of these are blank.
I can not delete this line
Has anyone else encountered this problem.