How do I fix a corrupted table?

Old May 14th 06, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default How do I fix a corrupted table?

I am trying to open one of my Word Documents, and now I get this error saying
"A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of
the table: select the table and choose Convert Table to Text from the table
menu." Well, that's all well and good, and I'd love to do that, but the
document shuts down instantly after clicking "OK". How do I fix this? I do
NOT want to lose this document, as it has required a bit of work to do, and I
will be quite angry having to start over.

I'm using Microsoft Word 2002, part of the Works 6.0 package.

Thanks
Old May 14th 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Make a copy of the Word 2002 file, and then try using the Open
and Repair option in Word 2002 to open the copy. You don't see
an Open and Repair option in Word 2002? In Word 2002, click on
File | Open, click on the little black downward-pointing triangle
at the right end of the Open button, and click on Open and Repair.

Also see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm .

Old October 6th 15, 07:41 PM
Mele Mele is offline

The 'Open and Repair' option wouldn't work for me in fixing the corrupted table error message. However, I found a workaround in Word 2003 that doesn't take up too much time. It may work in other versions of Word as well, but I haven't tried them yet.
Select each table one at a time (the entire table) and if the copy command is grayed out, then that's the table that's corrupt.
Hope this helps. It sure saved me a lot of time.
Mele

MP81 wrote:

I am trying to open one of my Word Documents, and now I get this error saying
"A table in this document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of
the table: select the table and choose Convert Table to Text from the table
menu." Well, that's all well and good, and I'd love to do that, but the
document shuts down instantly after clicking "OK". How do I fix this? I do
NOT want to lose this document, as it has required a bit of work to do, and I
will be quite angry having to start over.

I'm using Microsoft Word 2002, part of the Works 6.0 package.

Thanks
[/quote]