Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ronjonb ronjonb is offline

Default Equation display when not using the Editor 3.0

When I use the Editor to type an equation, the symbols (=,+,etc.) look the
way they should, but when I exit the Editor the symbols turn into other
objects like dots, ribons, and stars. The really weird thing is that I just
used this in another report, and this didn't happen. I would like to know
why this occured and how to fix it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce Meneghin Bruce Meneghin is offline

With the Equation editor open, check the setting for Style from the main menu
- make sure it is Math. It sounds like you are getting font substitution. Are
you always on the same machine when you get these different results?

"ronjonb" wrote:

When I use the Editor to type an equation, the symbols (=,+,etc.) look the
way they should, but when I exit the Editor the symbols turn into other
objects like dots, ribons, and stars. The really weird thing is that I just
used this in another report, and this didn't happen. I would like to know
why this occured and how to fix it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ronjonb ronjonb is offline

When I went into Style math was already checked. I have been using the same
machine (my laptop) when I get the different results.

"ronjonb" wrote:

When I use the Editor to type an equation, the symbols (=,+,etc.) look the
way they should, but when I exit the Editor the symbols turn into other
objects like dots, ribons, and stars. The really weird thing is that I just
used this in another report, and this didn't happen. I would like to know
why this occured and how to fix it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 11-Oct-2006, ronjonb wrote:

When I use the Editor to type an equation, the symbols (=,+,
etc.) look the way they should, but when I exit the Editor the
symbols turn into other objects like dots, ribons, and stars.
The really weird thing is that I just used this in another
report, and this didn't happen. I would like to know
why this occured and how to fix it.

Someone else suggested checking to make sure you're using Math Style.
That's important, but there's more to it than that. Your Math Style
must be set up to use particular fonts for particular styles. ("Math"
isn't actually a style in itself, but a combination of several other
styles -- "variable", "function", "symbol", etc.) What's important is
the fonts you tell Equation Editor to use when invoking these various
styles.

With Equation Editor open, click on Style, then click on Define. These
styles must be set to use Symbol font: LCGreek, UCGreek, and Symbol.
The other styles can be set to whatever font you want.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide