Soto

Default external disk drive not recognized in Save As

Thank you for your help. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Update.
I attached an external CD-ROM via USB t o my laptop. While I can use Disk
Management to recognize and cut and paste to the drive, the drive is not
recognized in programs like Word and Roxio. I cannot Save As to the drive nor
will Roxio CD Creator allow me to burn to the CD-Rom. because it does not
show up in the folder tree.

Thanks
Graham Mayor

The ability to write to a drive is determined by the software used to access
it. To save from within an application you need a compatible version of
Direct CD or InCD or similar, but these programs are flaky and in any case
it is not a good plan to save to removable media from Word as it is a
frequent cause of document corruption. You should always perform file
operations via the hard drive and copy to removable media.

Was the copy of Roxio supplied with the external drive or is it an OEM copy
intended for some other piece of hardware. If so, it is no wonder it doesn't
work.