Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
M/S 2007 Toolbar (Web) address? M/S 2007 Toolbar (Web) address? is offline

Default Web address

I just had M/S Word 2007 installed. The prior edition had a area on the
toolbar that supplied the location of the current document I was working
from. It was listed in the Web toolbar and it resembled a window that
contained the path to the document and the drive. I would use the feature to
cut and paste the path of the document into messages when I wanted someone to
view the document I was working with.

Does anyone have an idea if the feature still exists in the 2007 edition?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Add the Document Location item (from either the All Commands or Commands Not
in Ribbon) group to the Quick Access Toolbar

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

wrote in message
I just had M/S Word 2007 installed. The prior edition had a area on the
toolbar that supplied the location of the current document I was working
from. It was listed in the Web toolbar and it resembled a window that
contained the path to the document and the drive. I would use the feature
cut and paste the path of the document into messages when I wanted someone
view the document I was working with.

Does anyone have an idea if the feature still exists in the 2007 edition?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As Doug indicates, the feature is still available, but it takes up a lot of
limited real estate. It might be better to display the document name in the
Window title and use a macro to copy the path to the clipboard.

The former can be achieved by adding the following line to the end of an
autoopen macro in the normal template

ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName

The latter with the following macro:

Sub CopyFilenameAndPath()
Dim dFname As DataObject
Dim fFname As String
Set dFname = New DataObject
On Error Resume Next
With ActiveDocument
If Len(.Path) = 0 Then .Save
fFname = .FullName
End With
dFname.SetText fFname
dFname.PutInClipboard
End Sub

If you use very long path/document names, there may not be enough space in
the Window title bar to display them. You can get over this by limiting what
is displayed - in the example below to 120 characters - This handy macro was
reproduced a couple of years back by one of my fellow MVPs - Jay Freedman.
You can call it from an autoopen macro in place of the line -
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName

Sub InsertDocTitle()
' Changes window title to include path with filename
Dim NameArray As Variant
Dim NameStringL As String
Dim NameStringR As String
Dim Count As Long
Const maxLen = 120 ' set this value to fit your window width
' (avoid error if no active window)
If Windows.Count 0 Then
NameStringL = ActiveDocument.FullName
If Len(NameStringL) maxLen Then
' separate the folder names
NameArray = Split(NameStringL, "\")
' check the folder depth
Count = UBound(NameArray)
If Count 3 Then
NameStringL = NameArray(0) & "\...\"
NameStringR = NameArray(Count)
Count = Count - 1
' continue adding folders to the left of the string
' until you run out of folders or one won't fit
Do While (Count 0) And _
(Len(NameStringL) + Len(NameStringR) + _
Len(NameArray(Count)) maxLen)
NameStringR = NameArray(Count) & "\" _
& NameStringR
Count = Count - 1