Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
bluepete bluepete is offline

Default Index field code displays, not index entries

Hello,

I'm creating a very large document (several hundreds of pages) for the
first time. I've searched several other forums about my problem with
no luck. I've created a separate index document for later inclusion in
a master document. I've managed to insert an RD field with a correct
reference to a test document. No error messages are generated, anyway.
The test document has about a dozen XE fields, and I've successfully
created an index from these fields in the test document itself.

Here's the problem. In the index document, when I insert the index,
the field code characters appear, not the index entries. In other
words, the INDEX command appears with the switches inside curly
brackets. Clicking Show/Hide doesn't do anything, although the RD
field code appears/disappears. What am I doing wrong?

I'm using Word 2007, creating Word 2003 (.doc) files on a Vista
Business laptop. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

bluepete
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Press Alt+F9 to toggle the display from field codes, which is what you're
seeing, to field results.

http://word.mvps.org