Peter Fraser Peter Fraser is offline
Junior Member

Question Stop bullets elsewhere changing

I write quite long documents (50 to 60 sides) using Word 2007. I quite often need to use formatting such as bullets or numbering. However, I note that changing bullets on one page changes a whole bunch of bullets (or even removes them completely) elsewhere. I can't see this immediately as I am on one page while the changes are elsewhere. How can I stop Word from doing this? I know that sometimes control-z gets rid of surplus formatting but I surely don't need to do this every time?

I have tried to look at some pages explaining bulleting in word - they make little sense to me. All I want to do is to change the formatting on one page without messing anything else up. Why does Word seem to want to change styles affecting the whole document when you only want to change the text in question?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Stop bullets elsewhere changing

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter Fraser" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Most styles are based on Normal. If Normal has somehow been changed to
update automatically, then this setting may be propagated to the rest. In
theory, changing Normal would change the styles dependent on it, but in
practice this seems to affect only previously unused styles, so it's no help
for styles in existing text.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter Fraser" wrote in message

Thanks for this. Is there any way to stop all styles from updating
rather than one at a time?

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;468083']See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter Fraser" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

To turn off Automatically update for all paragraph styles in a document, you can
run the following macro:

Sub TurnOffAutoUpdate()
Dim s As Style
For Each s In ActiveDocument.Styles
If s.Type = wdStyleTypeParagraph Or _
s.Type = wdStyleTypeParagraphOnly Then

s.AutomaticallyUpdate = False

End If

Next s
End Sub

For assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Most styles are based on Normal. If Normal has somehow been changed to update
automatically, then this setting may be propagated to the rest. In theory,
changing Normal would change the styles dependent on it, but in practice this
seems to affect only previously unused styles, so it's no help for styles in
existing text.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter Fraser" wrote in message

Thanks for this. Is there any way to stop all styles from updating
rather than one at a time?

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;468083']See
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

[...]

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;468083']See
[...]

Changing Bullets in Outline kdagostino Microsoft Word Help 8 April 13th 08 09:13 PM
Changing Bullets Jacki Page Layout 1 July 16th 07 11:05 AM
bullets changing to symbols Theresa T. Microsoft Word Help 3 October 2nd 06 01:20 PM
bullets changing to symbols Theresa T. Microsoft Word Help 0 September 19th 06 12:56 PM
How to stop entire document style changing when changing 1 line? Troy A. Courtney Microsoft Word Help 4 May 1st 05 11:10 PM