Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maki Maki is offline

Default Find missing caption

I've inserted a picture (floating) in a document and placed a caption with
prefix "Fig.". Naturally the first picture was "Fig. 1 XXXX" but as I was
relatively new to this feature, I had a couple of trials and errors to get
the positioning right.

Subsequently, I got the second picture inserted and try to insert caption
for that, too, but the numbering isn't quite right and it wants to put "Fig.
3" instead of "Fig. 2".

There could be an orphaned caption ("Fig.2") somewhere within the document
but I can't see it. Is there a way to find this missing caption and delete
it?

Or could there be any other reason for this irregular numbering?

Thank you.

--
Maki @ Canberra.AU
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Find missing caption

Hi Maki,

It sounds like you may have accidentally deleted the caption for the second picture or there could be an orphaned caption as you mentioned. Here are the steps to find and delete the missing caption:
  1. Click on the first picture with the correct caption (Fig. 1 XXXX).
  2. Go to the References tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Insert Caption" button in the Captions group.
  4. In the Caption dialog box, make sure the "Exclude label from caption" box is unchecked and the "New Label" button is selected.
  5. In the "New Label" dialog box, type "Fig." and click OK.
  6. In the Caption dialog box, type "2" in the "Caption Numbering" box and add your caption text.
  7. Click OK to insert the caption for the second picture.

If the caption numbering is still not correct, there may be an orphaned caption somewhere in the document. Here's how to find and delete it:
  1. Go to the Home tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on the "Find" button in the Editing group.
  3. In the Find and Replace dialog box, click on the "More" button.
  4. Check the "Use wildcards" box.
  5. In the "Find what" box, type "Fig. [0-9]{1,}" (without the quotes).
  6. Click "Find Next" to locate the orphaned caption.
  7. Delete the caption and click "Find Next" again to see if there are any more orphaned captions.

I hope this helps you find and fix the issue with your captions.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could do a Search for the Style name that's applied to the caption
-- verify what it is by putting your cursor in the Fig. 1 or Fig. 3
paragraph; put the cursor at the start of the document, then Ctrl-F
More Format Style stylename Find Next. First it will find Fig.
1, then (hopefully) it will find whatever it thinks is Fig. 2, and you
can delete that paragraph. (Or change its style.)

On Jan 11, 10:54*pm, Maki wrote:
I've inserted a picture (floating) in a document and placed a caption with
prefix "Fig.". *Naturally the first picture was "Fig. 1 *XXXX" but as I was
relatively new to this feature, I had a couple of trials and errors to get
the positioning right.

Subsequently, I got the second picture inserted and try to insert caption
for that, too, but the numbering isn't quite right and it wants to put "Fig.
3" instead of "Fig. 2".

There could be an orphaned caption ("Fig.2") somewhere within the document
but I can't see it. *Is there a way to find this missing caption and delete
it?

Or could there be any other reason for this irregular numbering?

Thank you.

--
Maki @ Canberra.AU

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Caption numbers are places with SEQ fields. so you could use Edit Goto
Field SEQ to step through the SEQ fields in your document,

Maki wrote:
I've inserted a picture (floating) in a document and placed a caption
with prefix "Fig.". Naturally the first picture was "Fig. 1 XXXX"
but as I was relatively new to this feature, I had a couple of trials
and errors to get the positioning right.

Subsequently, I got the second picture inserted and try to insert
caption for that, too, but the numbering isn't quite right and it
wants to put "Fig. 3" instead of "Fig. 2".

There could be an orphaned caption ("Fig.2") somewhere within the
document but I can't see it. Is there a way to find this missing
caption and delete it?

Or could there be any other reason for this irregular numbering?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maki Maki is offline

Thank you, Folks, but neither seemed to work, or am I not doing it right?

Forgot to mention that I was using Word 2007. The captions are therefore
(?) in text boxes. Could this be the reason why they don't get detected by
"Find" or "Go To" functions?

Perhaps I should just use Publisher although it doesn't seem to have
automatic-captioning feature either...

--
Maki @ Canberra.AU

Maki wrote:
I've inserted a picture (floating) in a document and placed a caption
with prefix "Fig.". Naturally the first picture was "Fig. 1 XXXX"
but as I was relatively new to this feature, I had a couple of trials
and errors to get the positioning right.

Subsequently, I got the second picture inserted and try to insert
caption for that, too, but the numbering isn't quite right and it
wants to put "Fig. 3" instead of "Fig. 2".

There could be an orphaned caption ("Fig.2") somewhere within the
document but I can't see it. Is there a way to find this missing
caption and delete it?

Or could there be any other reason for this irregular numbering?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When I add a caption to a table (I haven't done a figure yet), it
doesn't go into a text box.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
Caption numbers are places with SEQ fields. so you could use Edit Goto
Field SEQ to step through the SEQ fields in your document,

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Maki wrote:
I've inserted a picture (floating) in a document and placed a caption
with prefix "Fig.". *Naturally the first picture was "Fig. 1 *XXXX"
but as I was relatively new to this feature, I had a couple of trials
and errors to get the positioning right.

Subsequently, I got the second picture inserted and try to insert
caption for that, too, but the numbering isn't quite right and it
wants to put "Fig. 3" instead of "Fig. 2".

There could be an orphaned caption ("Fig.2") somewhere within the
document but I can't see it. *Is there a way to find this missing
caption and delete it?

Or could there be any other reason for this irregular numbering?

Thank you.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Go to Word options Advanced Show document content section and set the
field shading to always. Unless the caption number is hidden behind a
graphic. You should be able to spot the seq number fields.
PamC

Maki wrote:
Thank you, Folks, but neither seemed to work, or am I not doing it right?

Forgot to mention that I was using Word 2007. The captions are therefore
(?) in text boxes. Could this be the reason why they don't get detected by
"Find" or "Go To" functions?

Perhaps I should just use Publisher although it doesn't seem to have
automatic-captioning feature either...

Caption numbers are places with SEQ fields. so you could use Edit Goto
Field SEQ to step through the SEQ fields in your document,

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

Thank you.

Ela Beel Ela Beel is offline
Junior Member

Do what PamC said and then click ungroup at top format or layout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki View Post