GKent GKent is offline
Junior Member

Default How do you insert hidden chapter markers (headings) into an existing Word outline?

I am creating a document that will contain one master document and multiple subdocuments - all of which are separate files and will represent separate chapters. I am using "list styles" to create an outline based on the generic Headings.

My outline is required to be the typical outline:

1
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.1.1

Each subdocument is at the 1.1 level. Each subdocument will also need to be marked as a chapter - so the page numbers can reflect each chapter and the Master Document can recognize them as chapters. But, I want each chapter heading to be hidden so the outline only shows the 1.1. It will look like: (Chapter 1) 1.1.

I know how to show the words "chapter" next to the second level which would appear like Chapter 1.1. But, I really need the word "chapter " to be hidden and the 1.1 to be visible. Again, these will be configured in each subdocument with (Chapter 1) 1.1 in the first subdocument and (Chapter 2) 1.2 in the second, and so forth.

Is there a way to have a hidden chapter title on an already existing Word outline? If not, is there a way to force chapters (for the sake of page numbers) while keeping an existing outline? Thank you all!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You can format the paragraph/auto number for level 1 as hidden text.
Then it won't display in the document, but you will still see it in
level 2 numbers.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP