badgeprinter badgeprinter is offline
Junior Member

Smile How do you insert a hidden image in excel for mail merge?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get printed a lot of name badges for an event that starts tomorrow and feeling the pressure here.

Our name badges have a good deal of information on them, first name, last, company, twitter handle, speaker, sponsor and codes for which sessions folks are attending.

The layout has some merge fields centralized, some on the left, some on the right, etc. on a 4x6 badge.

I've had no problems getting images and the fields on the badge spaced where I want them. The problem I am having when I run the mail merge is that certain fields move up when there are "blank" fields above them that are - messing up the spacing.

For instance, if someone is not a speaker or sponsor - there is nothing in that field so all the fields I had inserted below that - now move up - throwing off the badge design. I first tried to do text boxes but quickly learned mail merge doesn't work with text boxes. I then tried doing a shift return on some of the fields (so they are in the same paragraph) but that doesn't help me for items that can't be aligned the same.

I think if I can just go back to the original excel doc and insert some kind of "hidden" character in all the fields that are currently blank that will solve the issue. So even when someone is not a sponsor for exanple, there is a "hidden" character that gets inserted in that data field on the badge but doesn't actually show as anything and thus keeping all the other data fields in their same place.

Any thoughts on how to create that or other fix would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Ryan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do you insert a hidden image in excel for mail merge?

Have you considered using a (nested) table? You can hide the borders of course.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP