David Best

Default Text cut off in table at bottom of page

There are several postings about this issue, and I spent all day
trying to get to the root cause and figured I might as well post what
I found for others to benefit. Many have speculated it is a printer
driver issue, or margin settings, or a font problem, etc. None of
these potential casues were present in my situation.

The issue: text at the bottom of a page is cut off, even though the
page numbers, footer text, and table borders that are below the
cut-off text print fine. This shows up only when physically printing
the document. The text as imaged in Page Layout view or Print Preview
looks fine.

The issue appears to be a bug in Word 2000. Applying Service Release
1a (SR1a) and then Service Pack 3 (SPK3) for Office 2000 will cure the
problem (or it did for me).

In my tests the issue did not surface with Word 2002 or Word 2003.

Hoping this saves some poor soul(s) time and frustration.

David Best

Pat-southern-California

Thank you! I hope this works, I cannot get it to do the error
(intentionally). That is combined with a supervisor who is really eagle eyed
for everything has made this frustrating for me.

"David Best" wrote:

[...]

Pat-southern-California

Since you had such a great, speedy answer, how about this one: Eagle eye can
spot if there is the slightest change in the font or its size. While some are
obvious, it is usually barely noticeable, but she finds them. When I select
portions of the table, I can see it is all Times New Roman 11. If I try to
Ctrl A, and look, it comes up blank in the formatting bar. (Not for every
document, but most of them.) I try to find the offender by using the shift
and arrow down, and cannot find anything out of place. That includes the
marker outside of the cell (at the end of the row). If I try to Ctrl A and
select Times New Roman 11 for the whole document, it will not accept that
configuration. Why???

"David Best" wrote:

[...]

If TNR 11 is the default font (the font of Normal style), which is also used
in every other style in the document, you can Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Spacebar to
remove any direct font formatting. But note that this will also remove bold,
italics, etc. If you Ctrl+A and apply TNR 11, this should have the desired
effect even if you can't see any change in the display. Whenever you have
more than a certain amount of text (a page?) selected, many formatting
settings are blanked even if all the selected text is formatted the same.

"David Best" wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

Another possibility is that apparent changes in font size aren't
Word's fault, but the printer's. If an entire line seems smaller or
larger at random, it could be that the paper-handling rollers are
getting old and stiff (like my joints g) or slippery with dust or
oil. Try printing the same document on a different printer of the same
model if available, or get the printer serviced.

Regards,
Jay Freedman

"David Best" wrote:

[...]

Table wraps from bottom of page to the top of the same page mnhipp Page Layout 1 January 18th 05 06:11 PM
Resources for Long Document Management Jason Langkamer-Smith Microsoft Word Help 9 January 17th 05 09:17 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
Bottom Page Margin Inconsistent Peyton Todd Page Layout 3 December 18th 04 04:27 PM
Text box top and bottom of page, how do get get to page 2? Penfold Page Layout 1 December 13th 04 06:47 PM