Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
sainted sainted is offline

Default Printing (or not) headers and footers

Here's the deal: I'd like to make printing headers and footers optional so
that writers have the option of using pre-printed letterhead stationary or
printing the header/footer (which contain the "letterhead" graphics and so
on).

Why? Because sometimes letters are never printed on paper, they're just
saved to PDF and emailed, and just as often letters are printed and
snail-mailed. The writer doesn't always know which way the letter's going
when he or she's typing it, so I want them to be able to turn the
header/footer off or on for printing.

Is there any way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

See http://www.mirecki.us/computing/
and click on Hiding/printing graphics
This will require user training, I have not personally used this but have it
on file just in case :-)
--
Hope this helps
DeanH

"sainted" wrote:

Here's the deal: I'd like to make printing headers and footers optional so
that writers have the option of using pre-printed letterhead stationary or
printing the header/footer (which contain the "letterhead" graphics and so
on).

Why? Because sometimes letters are never printed on paper, they're just
saved to PDF and emailed, and just as often letters are printed and
snail-mailed. The writer doesn't always know which way the letter's going
when he or she's typing it, so I want them to be able to turn the
header/footer off or on for printing.

Is there any way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi sainted,

You could use a field in the header, code as:
{IF{FILLIN "Print Header? (Y/N)" \* Upper}= "Y*" "Your header image goes here"}
With such a field, the user will be prompted as to whether the header image should be inserted every time the document is printed.
The field accepts anything for an answer, but only an answer consisting of or starting with 'Y' or 'y' will trigger the image
inclusion.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message. There's nothing special about the ordinary brackets, though.

--
Cheers
macropod