Sue Hughes

Default Inserting Mail Merge Fields

Upgrading to Word 2003, I can't believe I need to Insert a field and close
the dialog box, just to move to another location of the document, and repeat
all the steps again.
What am I missing???
Doug Robbins

That's the way they designed it - Crazy. But two things you can do. Go to
fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

and you will find a version of the dialog that you do not have to close each
time, or, from the Tools menu, select Customize and then go to the Commands
tab and select the All Commands category and then locate the Insert Merge
Fields item and click and drag it onto a toolbar. I would suggest that you
turn on the display of the Mailmerge toolbar (ViewToolbars) and at it to
that. You will then be able to insert the mergefields in the same way as
was done in Word before XP.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Sue Hughes" wrote in message
Upgrading to Word 2003, I can't believe I need to Insert a field and close
the dialog box, just to move to another location of the document, and
repeat
all the steps again.
What am I missing???

Sue Hughes

Thank you Doug,
This will be a big time saver. Just a wonder, 'why in the world did MS do
that?'. No reply expected. ;-)

"Sue Hughes" wrote in message
Upgrading to Word 2003, I can't believe I need to Insert a field and close
the dialog box, just to move to another location of the document, and
repeat
all the steps again.
What am I missing???

Cardinal7

Thanks Sue. I am SO GLAD someone else had this problem. I thought it was
just me and I was too stupid to figure out how to fix it. I had used the
merge feature in 2000 and it was very easy. When I got 2003, I thought there
was no way they would make me close the dialog box each time. I will try to
solutions to see if they work for me.

Again, thanks!

"Sue Hughes" wrote:

Upgrading to Word 2003, I can't believe I need to Insert a field and close
the dialog box, just to move to another location of the document, and repeat
all the steps again.
What am I missing???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle

I went on Cindy's site and looked up "Display list of merge fields in a
non-modal dialog box" where she says to drag the macro
"DisplayListOfMergeFields" to the toolbar. I am in 2003 and there is no such
macro. Help! I have literally hundreds of merge codes to insert into dozens
of documents - and using "Insert Merge Code" the old fashioned way just won't
cut it. Any ideas please?

"Sue Hughes" wrote in message
Upgrading to Word 2003, I can't believe I need to Insert a field and close
the dialog box, just to move to another location of the document, and
repeat
all the steps again.
What am I missing???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Did you download the Sample File mentioned in the following paragraph in the
article
Using the Organizer (Tools/Macros/Organizer), you can copy the UserForm and
the macro module in the sample file to your Normal.dot template.

The macro is in that file.

Alternatively, following the instructions in the "Getting back older
interfaces" article on Cindy's site.