Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Default Numbering not restarting after using Shauna Kelly's method

I meticulously went through and defined a list style (1 for the top level, a.
for Level 2, ii for Level 3, etc.) using Shauna Kelly's "How to create
numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document." Now
when I go to apply it, the first number in one particular list is set to 8.

I've checked, and my Level 1 is set to start at 1, and each of the lower
levels are set appropriately to restart the numbering.

I've tried changing this paragraph to Normal and then resetting it to List,
and that didn't do anything.

Please advise. I thought by following Shauna's excellent instructions,
everything would turn out fine and I wouldn't have any more hassles.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you using a different style for each numbering level, and did you link
each level to the corresponding style? And are you using these styles *only*
for your numbered list?

"Bothell writer" wrote in message
I meticulously went through and defined a list style (1 for the top level,

a.
for Level 2, ii for Level 3, etc.) using Shauna Kelly's "How to create
numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document."

Now
when I go to apply it, the first number in one particular list is set to

8.

I've checked, and my Level 1 is set to start at 1, and each of the lower
levels are set appropriately to restart the numbering.

I've tried changing this paragraph to Normal and then resetting it to

List,
and that didn't do anything.

Please advise. I thought by following Shauna's excellent instructions,
everything would turn out fine and I wouldn't have any more hassles.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Yes, I'm using a different style for each numbering level, and I linked each
level to the corresponding style.

Right now, there are other styles used for numbered lists. I began with a
300-page manual that had several different numbering styles, in addition to
numbering sequences manually formatted (so they show up in my Formatting in
Use with no paragraph marker).

I'm trying to clean it up by creating a numbered list style based on Shauna
Kelly's instructions and then will migrate all the old styles and manual
formatting to this new style.

Shall I resolve it by adding the LISTNUM field "LISTNUM \l 1 \s 0" to each
of the numbered lists? This is a procedural manual so there are 100's of them.

Alternative suggestions would be appreciated as well as a quick reply.
Thanks so much!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Would it be better to modify the most commonly used numbering style in the
document? That would save time, but I thought it might work better to start
"clean."

Thanks again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps Shauna will step in here, but it sounds to me as if earlier
paragraphs are picking up the numbering you defined, with the result that
the paragraph you think should be #1 is becoming #8.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you using a different style for each numbering level, and did you

link
each level to the corresponding style? And are you using these styles

*only*
for your numbered list?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bothell writer" wrote in

message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Does someone have a solution? Would Shauna please step in here? I think my
most viable options at this point are to do the following:

1. Take an existing numbering scheme in the manual and base my numbering
style using Shauna's procedures on that. It makes me a bit uncomfortable
because I could be dealing with legacy problems from the FrameMaker
conversion, but it might be faster because I wouldn't have to change existing
styles.

2. Then set up the LISTNUM code at the end of each of the numbering
sequences. That's time-consuming too.

I'd appreciate it if someone can weigh in whether this would be a good
approach.
Also, I'm wondering why, if the LISTNUM field or some other method (blank
level 1, etc.) is needed in order to restart numbering for each list, why
Shauna didn't mention it in her procedures? They were very good -- was I
naive to assume they were all-inclusive?

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Suzanne,
You had asked earlier if I was using my new numbering styles *only* for my
numbered list. I do have other numbering styles in my document.

Are the other numbering styles, as well as the manually formatted numbered
paragraphs in the document creating havoc with my new list styles?

In the conversion from FrameMaker to Word, the converted numbering styles
came through with no numbering scheme -- just as hanging paragraphs. I'd
thought by creating a whole new set of styles based on Shauna's instructions,
I'd be able to search for the old styles and replace them with the new style,
resuliting in fewer problems. I haven't done the search and replace yet,
since the lists I've applied them to are not resetting the numbering to 1
with each new sequence. These sequences are several pages apart.

Should I edit those legacy styles based on Shauna's outline numbering? I'd
thought that might create more problems than starting fresh.

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Again, I suggest you post in the numbering NG, where you can attract the
attention of users knowledgeable about numbering.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you want attention from Shauna, you'll do better to post in
microsoft.public.word.numbering rather than this high-traffic NG.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bothell writer" wrote in

message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you using a different style for each numbering level, and

did
you
link
each level to the corresponding style? And are you using these

styles
*only*
for your numbered list?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bothell writer"