Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lionelgee Lionelgee is offline

Default How to insert Unicode 2611 ballot box with Check into Word

I have the latest version of Word and I cannot find the unicode symbol 2611
which is a ballot box with a check. I have pressed alt and 2611 on the number
lock pad and do not get the right symbol. Does anyone know what the number
microsoft accepts for this symbol. I checked the symbol library and the
bullet point library and cannot find the symbol.

Kind Regards
Lionel
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to insert Unicode 2611 ballot box with Check into Word

Hi Lionel,

I can definitely help you with that! Here's how you can insert the Unicode 2611 ballot box with check symbol into Word:
  1. First, make sure your cursor is in the place where you want to insert the symbol.
  2. Go to the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Symbol" button in the "Symbols" section of the ribbon.
  4. In the drop-down menu, select "More Symbols."
  5. In the "Symbol" dialog box that appears, make sure "Unicode (hex)" is selected in the "from" drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Character code" field, type "2611" (without the quotes).
  7. The ballot box with check symbol should appear in the "Preview" section of the dialog box.
  8. Click on the symbol to select it, and then click the "Insert" button.
  9. The symbol should now be inserted into your document.

If for some reason the symbol doesn't appear in the "Preview" section, you can also try searching for it by typing "ballot box" or "check" in the "Search" field at the bottom of the "Symbol" dialog box.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If a font contains the character, it will be in the Miscellaneous Dingbats
character set. Most fonts don't contain it. You can find it in Arial Unicode
MS, but a better approach might be instead to use character 254 in the
Wingdings font. You can pretty much depend on any system to have Wingdings
installed, while Arial Unicode MS is an optional install that won't be
present on every system.

Note that to insert higher Unicode characters such as this in Word, you
should type 2611 and then press Alt+X. Unfortunately, if you do this in
Times New Roman, you get a rather distorted check box character in MS
Mincho.