Quick access toolbar multiplying

Old March 19th 08, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J Weir[_2_]

Default Quick access toolbar multiplying

I have customised the quick access toolbar for my template and now have the
whole set of buttons (15-20 of them) duplicating multiple times.

What have I done?

I have visions of the sorcerer's apprentice!
Old March 19th 08, 07:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi J.,

You can have multiple packages of Quick Access items loading.

The basic QAT content loaded when you start Word comes from two primary sources
- outside of Word in the XML file named Word.QAT
- In the global document template, usually Normal.dotm (or the item listed in the Templates and Add-ins dialog (Alt, T, I).

You can also save Quick Access Toolbar items in other templates and those will appear when you
-open the template (Alt, F, O)
-create a new document from the template (Alt, F, N)
-attach the template (Alt, T, I)

You can also store document specific QAT items in documents.

When you're seeing the behavior of too many icons g if you go to Word Options (Alt, F, I, C) and change the drop down list choice
under 'Customize Quick Access Toolbar) see if you have separate groups of entries.

Unfortunately though, when you have a document based on a template open but not the template itself, Word doesn't show separate QAT
customization entries for the document template. The 'for all documents (default)' listed items it's referring to in that case is
for those saved in the Word.QAT file.

On the Quick Access toolbar the usual default sequence of QAT icons is, from left to right:

Word.QAT,
Attached template QAT items,
Document Template QAT items,
Document specific QAT items.

Add-ins may also have QAT content they're adding.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP