Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Paul

Default Workgroup Templates on Laptops

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this but I couldn't see a
template group. Apologies in advance if this is out of place.

In a large(ish) organisation, what have people found to be the best method
of distributing templates?

I thought setting all users' Workgroup Template location to the same network
share would be the best approach. Global templates could go here and
subfolders added for each department that needs to share templates at a
departmental level.

The problem is what to do about laptop users. I guess that we could set the
template network share to be available offline but I'm not sure I entirely
trust offline folders (I have had them go very odd in both Windows 2000 and
Windows XP after a few months of use).

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to distribute templates
such as these?

Cheers

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

Yes.

Set each user's network login (laptop or desktop) to update the workgroup
templates to a local folder upon login. This minimizes network load and
assures that you can update your workgroup templates without knocking
everyone off of Word. Do the same thing with global templates (except they
go in a separate startup folder).
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...buteMacros.htm

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon