Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alenka Alenka is offline

Default Ranting - New computers only come with trail versions of MS Word?

I recently bought a new computer only to find out that I have a trial version
of MS Word installed (which I can't access anyway because evidently the
product key that I was given is invalid). I can't help but be peeved. I think
if if a consumer chooses to purchase a computer with a microsoft operating
system installed, this commonly used software should be included or the
advertising for pc computers should clearly indicate what software is
installed as a trial version only. I don't recall ever having to buy MS Word
before. Now I have to go spend additional $ on the software I need. Lots of
people have advised me to switch to a mac, which increasingly seems like
sound advice.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Ranting - New computers only come with trial versions of MS Word?

Hi Alenka,

MS Word is not part of the MS Windows Operating System. It is an entirely different piece of software. MS Word has never been free -
neither has any other part of the MS Office suite.

What software is installed on the computer when it is sold is entirely up to the maker and/or vendor. If you previously bought a PC
with MS Word installed, then you paid for it along with the PC, even if you weren't aware of that fact - unless you were being given
a pirated copy.

These days, MS allows trial versions of its software to be installed by various PC makers and vendors. Being a trial version, you
probably didn't pay for it - if you did, go back to the vendor and ask for a refund or a fully-licensed copy.

By all means, switch to a mac - but be prepared to find you're paying a whole lot more overall and getting a less capable version of
MS Word to boot!

--
Cheers
macropod

"Alenka" wrote in message ...
I recently bought a new computer only to find out that I have a trial version
of MS Word installed (which I can't access anyway because evidently the
product key that I was given is invalid). I can't help but be peeved. I think
if if a consumer chooses to purchase a computer with a microsoft operating
system installed, this commonly used software should be included or the
advertising for pc computers should clearly indicate what software is
installed as a trial version only. I don't recall ever having to buy MS Word
before. Now I have to go spend additional $ on the software I need. Lots of
people have advised me to switch to a mac, which increasingly seems like
sound advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

: By all means, switch to a mac - but be prepared to find you're paying a
whole lot more overall and getting a less capable version of
: MS Word to boot!

And, if Alenka has many programs that work with Windows...surprise surprise!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Note that Microsoft Word won't be free on your mac either
(http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...shop-now.mspx). So you will
have to spend extra dollars there as well.

OpenOffice will do most of what you want and is free. Maybe you should try
that. But considering the low cost of the Home and Student version of
Microsoft Office and the added productivity compared to OpenOffice, I find
the price worth it.

Yves

"Alenka" wrote in message
I recently bought a new computer only to find out that I have a trial
version
of MS Word installed (which I can't access anyway because evidently the
product key that I was given is invalid). I can't help but be peeved. I
think
if if a consumer chooses to purchase a computer with a microsoft operating
system installed, this commonly used software should be included or the
advertising for pc computers should clearly indicate what software is
installed as a trial version only. I don't recall ever having to buy MS
Word
before. Now I have to go spend additional $ on the software I need. Lots
of
people have advised me to switch to a mac, which increasingly seems like
sound advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

New computers cost less than $500 these days and yet people expect $300
Office suites installed on them. That's like buying a $30,000 house and
expecting it to have a built-in sauna room.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Alenka" wrote in message
I recently bought a new computer only to find out that I have a trial
version
of MS Word installed (which I can't access anyway because evidently the
product key that I was given is invalid). I can't help but be peeved. I
think
if if a consumer chooses to purchase a computer with a microsoft operating
system installed, this commonly used software should be included or the
advertising for pc computers should clearly indicate what software is
installed as a trial version only. I don't recall ever having to buy MS
Word
before. Now I have to go spend additional $ on the software I need. Lots
of
people have advised me to switch to a mac, which increasingly seems like
sound advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

Perhaps instead of a *trail* version, maybe they need the *trial* version.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
: New computers cost less than $500 these days and yet people expect $300
: Office suites installed on them. That's like buying a $30,000 house and
: expecting it to have a built-in sauna room.
:
: --
:
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
: Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
:
:
:
: "Alenka" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

No, they need to fully understand what they are getting for their money.
(But I cringe each time I read about a trail version.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tom [Pepper] Willett" wrote in message
Perhaps instead of a *trail* version, maybe they need the *trial* version.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
: New computers cost less than $500 these days and yet people expect $300
: Office suites installed on them. That's like buying a $30,000 house and
: expecting it to have a built-in sauna room.
:
: --
:
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
: Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
:
:
:
: ...