Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Debra Debra is offline

Default Tab help for Word 2007 Template

I have a user who created a Word template. This template is a form that the
user's fill out with info. I have searched high and low and can't find the
answer to my question. I have created the fields in a table so that when the
user tabs from field to field the cursor goes to each cell. What I can't
figure out is how to position the curser to the left of the field rather than
the field being highlighted. Does this make sense? If any one could help, I
would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Debra
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

That is the default action when a user tabs into a form field, and the
purpose is to make it easy to overwrite any default field content. If the
user instead clicks with the mouse in the field, it may be possible to avoid
selecting the entire content.

http://word.mvps.org

"Debra" wrote in message
I have a user who created a Word template. This template is a form that the
user's fill out with info. I have searched high and low and can't find the
answer to my question. I have created the fields in a table so that when
the
user tabs from field to field the cursor goes to each cell. What I can't
figure out is how to position the curser to the left of the field rather
than
the field being highlighted. Does this make sense? If any one could help,
would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Debra

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Debra Debra is offline

Suzanne,
I see what you are saying but in the form I'm talking about, when I tab to
the next field, the field name is highlighted. Instead of that I would like
the cursor to be right of the field name so the user can start typing in
their info. I have made the templater read only so the fields should be empty
each time a user uses the template to enter their data.

Thanks,
Deb

"Debra" wrote in message
I have a user who created a Word template. This template is a form that the
user's fill out with info. I have searched high and low and can't find the
answer to my question. I have created the fields in a table so that when
the
user tabs from field to field the cursor goes to each cell. What I can't
figure out is how to position the curser to the left of the field rather
than
the field being highlighted. Does this make sense? If any one could help,
would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Debra

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you using content controls or legacy form fields? If the former, someone
else will have to help you. If the latter, you should put the field label
outside the field itself. This is often done by putting the label ("Name,"
"Address," or the like) in one table cell and the form field in another.

http://word.mvps.org

"Debra" wrote in message
I have a user who created a Word template. This template is a form that
the
user's fill out with info. I have searched high and low and can't find
the
answer to my question. I have created the fields in a table so that
when
the
user tabs from field to field the cursor goes to each cell. What I
can't
figure out is how to position the curser to the left of the field
rather
than
the field being highlighted. Does this make sense? If any one could
help,
would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Debra

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The other thing to note is that if you protect the template for forms entry,
then tabbing will stop ONLY at fields. Even if the label (Name) is in the
same table cell--or not in a table at all--tabbing just takes you from field
to field. This is, btw, the way forms are designed to be used for onscreen
entry. That way, the user can't overtype parts of the form itself.

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible