Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Default Field Braces

I could swear that Ctrl+F9 always resulted in field braces. However, the
connection somehow doesn't work now and instead of field braces, it takes me
to the field code window in which one can select many types of fields.

What can I do to get just the field braces?

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

How odd. According to Customize | Keyboard, Ctrl+F9 is assigned to
InsertFieldChars. Make sure that your assignment is still correct; sounds
like it may have gotten assigned to InsertField.

http://word.mvps.org

"Island Girl" wrote in message
news
I could swear that Ctrl+F9 always resulted in field braces. However, the
connection somehow doesn't work now and instead of field braces, it takes
me
to the field code window in which one can select many types of fields.

What can I do to get just the field braces?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:49:02 -0800, Island Girl
wrote:

I could swear that Ctrl+F9 always resulted in field braces. However, the
connection somehow doesn't work now and instead of field braces, it takes me
to the field code window in which one can select many types of fields.

What can I do to get just the field braces?

Thanks in advance!

For Word 2003 or earlier: Open the Tools Customize dialog and click
the Keyboard button.

For Word 2007: Open Office button Word Options Customize and click
the Keyboard Customize button.

In the Customize Keyboard dialog, select the All Commands category.
Then select the InsertFieldChars command. Click in the "Press new
shortcut key" box, press Ctrl+F9, and click the Assign key.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hold down the Alt key and the Ctrl key and press the + on the numeric keypad
to display the Customize keyboard dialog and then you can press Ctrl+F9 and
see what it has been assigned to and remove that assignment if desired.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Island Girl" wrote in message
news
I could swear that Ctrl+F9 always resulted in field braces. However, the
connection somehow doesn't work now and instead of field braces, it takes
me
to the field code window in which one can select many types of fields.

What can I do to get just the field braces?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Right again, Suzanne! That's exactly what happened and it was my fault. I
accidentally set it to InsertField instead of InsertFieldchars.

Thanks again and again!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

How odd. According to Customize | Keyboard, Ctrl+F9 is assigned to
InsertFieldChars. Make sure that your assignment is still correct; sounds
like it may have gotten assigned to InsertField.

http://word.mvps.org

"Island Girl" wrote in message
news
I could swear that Ctrl+F9 always resulted in field braces. However, the
connection somehow doesn't work now and instead of field braces, it takes
me
to the field code window in which one can select many types of fields.

What can I do to get just the field braces?

Thanks in advance!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Thanks, Doug. I had accidentally set it to InsertField. Thanks for this
reply and all of your other help!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Hold down the Alt key and the Ctrl key and press the + on the numeric keypad
to display the Customize keyboard dialog and then you can press Ctrl+F9 and
see what it has been assigned to and remove that assignment if desired.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Island Girl" wrote in message
news
I could swear that Ctrl+F9 always resulted in field braces. However, the
connection somehow doesn't work now and instead of field braces, it takes
me
to the field code window in which one can select many types of fields.

What can I do to get just the field braces?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

You're right, Jay! I had assigned it to InsertField instead of
InsertFieldchars. Thanks for all of your help!

wrote:

I could swear that Ctrl+F9 always resulted in field braces. However, the
connection somehow doesn't work now and instead of field braces, it takes me
to the field code window in which one can select many types of fields.

What can I do to get just the field braces?

Thanks in advance!

For Word 2003 or earlier: Open the Tools Customize dialog and click
the Keyboard button.

For Word 2007: Open Office button Word Options Customize and click
the Keyboard Customize button.

In the Customize Keyboard dialog, select the All Commands category.
Then select the InsertFieldChars command. Click in the "Press new
shortcut key" box, press Ctrl+F9, and click the Assign key.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
.

Missing date field in file select field (get data source) Leslie Gottlieb Mailmerge 2 August 24th 09 11:18 PM
All hidden special tags are being seen with braces Siamak Sarmady New Users 1 July 18th 08 03:00 PM
braces in words chukey Microsoft Word Help 1 April 10th 08 10:03 AM
braces Kilroy2982 Microsoft Word Help 2 July 12th 06 12:17 PM
Help on Mailmerge field (field length) - field getting truncated Blasting Cap Mailmerge 0 September 16th 05 06:57 AM