Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patrick Patrick is offline

Default Guides, or non-printing lines

Hello there -- I am trying to lay out some guides on a page in Word 2003
(Windows XP). As I cannot find any information about adding guides to a page
in Word, I am simply adding some lines to my page to work like guides (no
snapping, of course). However, in order to work like guides, I am trying to
figure out how to make these lines NOT print, while the rest of the page
content prints. Does anyone have any advice on making non-printing lines?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word is not page layout software and consequently doesn't have any provision
for layout guides. What it does have is nonprinting "text boundaries" (Tools
| Options | View) which will show you (among other things) where your
margins are, and a drawing grid (Draw | Grid on the Drawing toolbar); the
grid interval is adjustable.

http://word.mvps.org

"Patrick" wrote in message
Hello there -- I am trying to lay out some guides on a page in Word 2003
(Windows XP). As I cannot find any information about adding guides to a
page
in Word, I am simply adding some lines to my page to work like guides (no
snapping, of course). However, in order to work like guides, I am trying
figure out how to make these lines NOT print, while the rest of the page
content prints. Does anyone have any advice on making non-printing lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Patrick" wrote in message
Hello there -- I am trying to lay out some guides on a page in Word 2003
(Windows XP). As I cannot find any information about adding guides to a
page
in Word, I am simply adding some lines to my page to work like guides (no
snapping, of course). However, in order to work like guides, I am trying
figure out how to make these lines NOT print, while the rest of the page
content prints. Does anyone have any advice on making non-printing lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patrick Patrick is offline

Thanks for the reply, Suzanne! Unfortunately, my document grid is not quite
spaced at regular intervals across the entire page. Is there a way to draw my
own lines on the page so they appear on screen but so they do not print?
Thanks in advance!

"Patrick" wrote in message
Hello there -- I am trying to lay out some guides on a page in Word 2003
(Windows XP). As I cannot find any information about adding guides to a
page
in Word, I am simply adding some lines to my page to work like guides (no
snapping, of course). However, in order to work like guides, I am trying
figure out how to make these lines NOT print, while the rest of the page
content prints. Does anyone have any advice on making non-printing lines?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Patrick" wrote in message
Hello there -- I am trying to lay out some guides on a page in Word 2003
(Windows XP). As I cannot find any information about adding guides to a
page
in Word, I am simply adding some lines to my page to work like guides (no
snapping, of course). However, in order to work like guides, I am trying
figure out how to make these lines NOT print, while the rest of the page
content prints. Does anyone have any advice on making non-printing lines?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, if there were a way I would have told you in the first place. But the
grid should be regularly spaced even if it doesn't appear to be.

http://word.mvps.org

"Patrick" wrote in message
Hello there -- I am trying to lay out some guides on a page in Word
2003
(Windows XP). As I cannot find any information about adding guides to a
page
in Word, I am simply adding some lines to my page to work like guides
(no
snapping, of course). However, in order to work like guides, I am
trying
figure out how to make these lines NOT print, while the rest of the
page
content prints. Does anyone have any advice on making non-printing
lines?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Patrick" wrote in message
Hello there -- I am trying to lay out some guides on a page in Word
2003
(Windows XP). As I cannot find any information about adding guides to a
page
in Word, I am simply adding some lines to my page to work like guides
(no
snapping, of course). However, in order to work like guides, I am
trying
figure out how to make these lines NOT print, while the rest of the
page
content prints. Does anyone have any advice on making non-printing
lines?

.

chucky51 chucky51 is offline
Junior Member

Thanks so much for your clarification Suzanne!
I've been struggling for years with Word. The problem is that it PRETENDS to allow you to be able to do some layout, consequently creating endless frustration.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word is not page layout software and consequently doesn't have any
provision
for layout guides.

[/i][/color][/quote]