Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Burt Burt is offline

Default I cannot move hanging and left indents indepedently.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You cannot drag the Hanging Indent marker without bringing the Left Indent
marker with it. The hanging indent actually sets the left indent, with the
result that you have (in effect) a negative first-line indent. If you drag
just the Left Indent portion, it will bring along both the Handing Indent
and the First-Line Indent markers.

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In 2007 you can move the bottom square to move both the margin mark
and indent/outdent mark, or you can move the up-pointing lower
triangle to move just the margin but not the 'dent. And of course as
in 2003 you can move the down-pointing upper triangle to move the
first line's starting point.

On Apr 18, 9:06*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You cannot drag the Hanging Indent marker without bringing the Left Indent
marker with it. The hanging indent actually sets the left indent, with the
result that you have (in effect) a negative first-line indent. If you drag
just the Left Indent portion, it will bring along both the Handing Indent
and the First-Line Indent markers.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The ruler works exactly the same in Word 2007 as in previous versions.
Moving any of the indent markers does not change the page margins. Only when
you place the mouse pointer between the triangles (getting a double-headed
arrow instead of a popup that describes the indent) can you change the
actual margin. Aside from that, it works exactly as I described: the
First-Line Indent moves singly; the Hanging Indent drags the Left Indent
with it, and the Left Indent moves all three.

http://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message
In 2007 you can move the bottom square to move both the margin mark
and indent/outdent mark, or you can move the up-pointing lower
triangle to move just the margin but not the 'dent. And of course as
in 2003 you can move the down-pointing upper triangle to move the
first line's starting point.

On Apr 18, 9:06 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You cannot drag the Hanging Indent marker without bringing the Left Indent
marker with it. The hanging indent actually sets the left indent, with the
result that you have (in effect) a negative first-line indent. If you drag
just the Left Indent portion, it will bring along both the Handing Indent
and the First-Line Indent markers.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How do page margins come into the question?

I was never able to move the lower triangle independently from the box
in 2003.

When you move the lower triangle, the upper triangle doesn't move.
When you move the box, both the lower triangle and the upper triangle
move.

"grammatim" wrote in message

In 2007 you can move the bottom square to move both the margin mark
and indent/outdent mark, or you can move the up-pointing lower
triangle to move just the margin but not the 'dent. And of course as
in 2003 you can move the down-pointing upper triangle to move the
first line's starting point.

On Apr 18, 9:06 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You cannot drag the Hanging Indent marker without bringing the Left Indent
marker with it. The hanging indent actually sets the left indent, with the
result that you have (in effect) a negative first-line indent. If you drag
just the Left Indent portion, it will bring along both the Handing Indent
and the First-Line Indent markers.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Burt" wrote in message

...-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are the one who brought up "margins," which are not the same thing as
indents.

In 2007 you can move the bottom square to move both the margin mark
and indent/outdent mark, or you can move the up-pointing lower
triangle to move just the margin but not the 'dent.

Everything you say is still just confirming what I said originally: moving
the Hanging Indent marker ("lower triangle") also moves the Left Indent
marker ("box"). Moving the box moves both triangles, but this is still not a
"margin"; it is a left indent; the page margin remains unchanged. And none
of this behavior is changed from earlier versions. I note that
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm uses the word "margin"
imprecisely, so any misconception is at least partly my (or Dave Rado's)
fault.

http://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message

In 2007 you can move the bottom square to move both the margin mark
and indent/outdent mark, or you can move the up-pointing lower
triangle to move just the margin but not the 'dent. And of course as
in 2003 you can move the down-pointing upper triangle to move the
first line's starting point.

On Apr 18, 9:06 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You cannot drag the Hanging Indent marker without bringing the Left
Indent
marker with it. The hanging indent actually sets the left indent, with
the
result that you have (in effect) a negative first-line indent. If you
drag
just the Left Indent portion, it will bring along both the Handing
Indent
and the First-Line Indent markers.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Burt" wrote in message

...-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I never think about the "page margins"! The margin of a text is where
the type goes to. I've never encountered those labels for the
triangles and box.

"grammatim" wrote in message

In 2007 you can move the bottom square to move both the margin mark
and indent/outdent mark, or you can move the up-pointing lower
triangle to move just the margin but not the 'dent. And of course as
in 2003 you can move the down-pointing upper triangle to move the
first line's starting point.

On Apr 18, 9:06 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You cannot drag the Hanging Indent marker without bringing the Left
Indent
marker with it. The hanging indent actually sets the left indent, with
the
result that you have (in effect) a negative first-line indent. If you
drag
just the Left Indent portion, it will bring along both the Handing
Indent
and the First-Line Indent markers.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

...--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you hover your mouse over the markers (assuming you have "Show ScreenTips
on toolbars" enabled), those are the labels you will see.

http://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message

In 2007 you can move the bottom square to move both the margin mark
and indent/outdent mark, or you can move the up-pointing lower
triangle to move just the margin but not the 'dent. And of course as
in 2003 you can move the down-pointing upper triangle to move the
first line's starting point.

On Apr 18, 9:06 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You cannot drag the Hanging Indent marker without bringing the Left
Indent
marker with it. The hanging indent actually sets the left indent, with
the
result that you have (in effect) a negative first-line indent. If you
drag
just the Left Indent portion, it will bring along both the Handing
Indent
and the First-Line Indent markers.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Burt" wrote in message