Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wooster Wooster is offline

Default Arrow Shapes Word 07

Hi

I've used Word 2003 for years. I could always insert an arrow into the
text, and use it to point to an illustration. (I write instruction books.)
I could always right click on the arrow and select 'edit points' to bend the
arrow sharply.

If I do the same with Word 2007, (Insert / Shapes / select Arrow) and right
click on the arrow - the 'edit points' is not available.

If I select the arrow (click on it) the same symbol for 'edit shapes' is on
the Format / Insert shapes tab - but it's 'greyed out' and I can't select it.

So, question: How do I obtain 'edit shapes' for a recently inserted arrow in
Word 2007?

Grateful thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Wooster" wrote in message
Hi

I've used Word 2003 for years. I could always insert an arrow into the
text, and use it to point to an illustration. (I write instruction
books.)
I could always right click on the arrow and select 'edit points' to bend
the
arrow sharply.

If all you want to do is to bend the arrow, right-click on it and select
"Curved Connector". You can then grab the "edit point" in the middle and
bend it to your design.

HTH

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wooster Wooster is offline

Hi Gordon

FYI: Windows XP Pro. Fully up to date. (It did ask!)

I don't really want to bend the arrow, but cause a kink - a sharp bend.
Bending seems to do just that - cause a gradual bend.

The 'edit points' is there - but it's 'greyed out' and not available. Any
idea how to make it available?

Regards

"Gordon" wrote:

"Wooster" wrote in message
Hi

I've used Word 2003 for years. I could always insert an arrow into the
text, and use it to point to an illustration. (I write instruction
books.)
I could always right click on the arrow and select 'edit points' to bend
the
arrow sharply.

If all you want to do is to bend the arrow, right-click on it and select
"Curved Connector". You can then grab the "edit point" in the middle and
bend it to your design.

HTH

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are we talking about Block Arrows or bent lines with arrowheads? If the
former, then there are arrows with better-defined right angles (called
Bent-up Arrow, for example).

From the foregoing discussion, however, it appears we're talking about
lines/arrows/connectors. What I can't figure out is what sort of "shape" is
required to enable the Edit Shape button on the Drawing Tools | Format
Ribbon tab. And Edit Wrap Points on the Text Wrapping menu does something
entirely different.

Ah, wait, here we go. Instead of using a straight line, start with a Curve.
Draw it straight. Right-click and choose Edit Points. If necessary, add a
point in the center. Right-click on it and choose Corner Point. Then drag
the ends of the tangent line into a right angle (takes some trial and
error). Then add arrowheads.

http://word.mvps.org

news