Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ash Ash is offline

Default Cant Mail-Merge to Outlook 2007 in HTML Format

Hi

I am trying to carry out a Mail-Merge from Word 2007 to Outlook 2007 in HTML
format. This setup works as expected from my Windows XP based machine.

However we want to carry out large mail-merges from a dedicated profile set
up as a Terminal Services session on Windows Server 2008. On here when I try
to "Finish and Merge" from Microsoft Word in HTML format nothing happens and
no messages are sent. If I change the format to plain text Outlook pops up
the programmatic access security dialog, but if I click Allow the messages
are sent.

I have tried extensively to figure out why HTML mail-merge works fine from
an XP based machine but not work at all from Windows Server 2008. I have
been through the security settings and also tried applying the most liberal
group policy settings for programmatic access for the account but it hasn't
changed anything.

I would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Ash

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have never tried Office+Win2008 and particularly not via Terminal
Server and can only make a few of guesses, but
a. Word seems to rely on Extended MAPI for mailmerging HTML format
whereas it seems content with Simple MAPI (or perhaps even another
interface) for plain text or attachments.
b. I've never been able to find out exactly which interface Word uses
to send HTML, but it could use CDOSYS. The question is, is that enabled
by default in Windows 2008? Or are there other email interfaces that
might or might not be enabled in Win 2008 or have to be installed as a
feature etc.
c. Word appears to save the mail merge main document with merged data
as a file prior to sending it (i.e. I don't think Word just creates the
message from a memory buffer). Since it's almost certain to use a temp
file (and probably folder if it is saving supporting files) So you need
to be very sure that TS in particular has the necessary permissions for
such Temp folders. (I'm sure you've already looked at that - all I can
remember is that a very long time ago there was just such a problem with
TS and merge).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Ash wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sidd Sidd is offline

Hi,

We have exactly same issue on 2008 Terminal Server running Office 2007
Small Business Edition.

I have tried setting Outlook as default, but no difference.

At the merge prompt, the "Attachment & Rich Text options" work fine, but
not the HTML option.

Any help, much appreciated.

Regards,
Sidd.

Ash wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

All I can suggest is this:
a. AIUI when you install software for use in a TS environment, you are
actually installing it on the host system.
b. that does not necessarily set up everything required in each TS
environment (and there may also be conflicts between roaming and static
profiles)
c. if you haven't tried it already, it may be worth attempting an
Office Detect/Repair while logged into the TS and see
- if there are any problems
- if the merge works immediately after you have done the repair
- if so, whether it still works when you have logged out and logged
in again.

Are you also running Exchange Server?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk