Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

Default Fields in Word

Here is a block of text for each $ amount I want (without using VBA) to
create a reference (like you can name cells in Excel). And since this is
repeated three times in the Word document I would like the other instances of
the number to automatically be filled in. I am thinking it's a FIELD thing.
Just can't figure it out.

Thanks.

EXAMPLE

We have a significant amount of indebtedness. On December 31, 2009, we had
aggregate indebtedness of approximately $11.2 million of which $1.9 million,
including current maturities of $10.6 million, represents obligations of
Company A, Inc., and $3.0 million represents an obligation of Company B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select each instance to which you want to create a reference and then insert
a unique bookmark to it. Then in the other locations where you want the
referenced item to appear, insert a Cross-reference to the text of the
bookmark.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Jason" wrote in message
Here is a block of text for each $ amount I want (without using VBA) to
create a reference (like you can name cells in Excel). And since this is
repeated three times in the Word document I would like the other instances
of
the number to automatically be filled in. I am thinking it's a FIELD
thing.
Just can't figure it out.

Thanks.

EXAMPLE

We have a significant amount of indebtedness. On December 31, 2009, we had
aggregate indebtedness of approximately $11.2 million of which $1.9
million,
including current maturities of $10.6 million, represents obligations of
Company A, Inc., and $3.0 million represents an obligation of Company B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

PERFECT! Thank you.

One additional question - once again - without using VBA. Can I use FIELDS
or BOOKMARKS in Word that reference a particular cell in an Excel workbook?

Thanks.

"Jason" wrote in message
Here is a block of text for each $ amount I want (without using VBA) to
create a reference (like you can name cells in Excel). And since this is
repeated three times in the Word document I would like the other instances
of
the number to automatically be filled in. I am thinking it's a FIELD
thing.
Just can't figure it out.

Thanks.

EXAMPLE

We have a significant amount of indebtedness. On December 31, 2009, we had
aggregate indebtedness of approximately $11.2 million of which $1.9
million,
including current maturities of $10.6 million, represents obligations of
Company A, Inc., and $3.0 million represents an obligation of Company B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you select your cell in Excel and Edit-Copy, then Edit-Paste
Special in Word and select "Paste Link", you can paste a link in one of
a number of formats. If you then press Alt-F9 you will see that you have
inserted a LINK field along the lines of

{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "C:\\mywbs\\mywb.xls" "Sheet1!R2C3" \a \f 4 \r }

Once you've got the syntax, you can create such LINK fields by hand, by
inserting a pair of field code braces ({ }) via ctrl-F9 and typing the
rest of the text.

You can also reference named ranges.

Just in case you wanted to, be aware that you can't really nest fields
in LINK fields (at least not in recent versions of Word) so you can't do
stuff like

{SET cellref "R2C3" }
{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "C:\\mywbs\\mywb.xls" "Sheet1!{ REF cellref }" \a
\f 4 \r }

You can actually nest the field, but Word will unlink the nested field
the next time you update the LINK field (and/or probably when you save
or re-open the document).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk