menteith menteith is offline
Junior Member

Smile Add tabulation to every footnote

Hi all,

I would like to every footnote in my Word document to start with a tabulation. The best idea is to probably write a macro which would check if a footnote starts with a tab and if it doesn't a tabulation should be added to avoid adding more than one tab. Could you provide me with a such macro, please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Add tabulation to every footnote

If you mean that you want the first line to be indented, you could just add
a first line indent to the Footnote Text style.

On the other hand, if you are saying that you want a tab character *after*
the footnote number, then post back.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"menteith" wrote in message

Hi all,

I would like to every footnote in my Word document to start with a
tabulation. The best idea is to probably write a macro which would check
if a footnote starts with a tab and if it doesn't a tabulation should be
added to avoid adding more than one tab. Could you provide me with a
such macro, please?

--
menteith

menteith menteith is offline
Junior Member

Could you tell me how to do this? I checked I do not see this option.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can modify the Footnote Text style so that it includes a hanging indent
and then make use of macros to insert the notes. Use the following macro and
store it in the Normal template (for assistance, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm):

Sub InsertFootnoteNow()
'Code by Dave Rado, modified by Stefan Blom
ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range
With Selection
.Paragraphs(1).Range.Font.Reset
.Paragraphs(1).Range.Characters(2) = ""
.InsertAfter ". "
.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End With
ActiveWindow.ScrollIntoView Selection.Range
End Sub

The macro intercepts the Insert Footnote command on the References tab; it
does not intercept the Footnote and Endnote dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"menteith" wrote in message

Could you tell me how to do this? I checked I do not see this option.

--
menteith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Stefan--

I don't understand macro texts; could you explain where this one is seeking
and/or inserting a tab character? In many situations that would be nicer
than the space or the nothing that normally appears after the footnote
reference.

"menteith" wrote in message

Could you tell me how to do this? I checked I do not see this option.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Peter,

Thanks for your reply. You helped me notice a mistake. The line with
InsertAfter should include an instruction that adds a tab character:

Sub InsertFootnoteNow()
'Code by Dave Rado, modified by Stefan Blom
ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range
With Selection
.Paragraphs(1).Range.Font.Reset
.Paragraphs(1).Range.Characters(2) = ""
.InsertAfter "." & vbTab

"menteith" wrote in message

Could you tell me how to do this? I checked I do not see this option.

menteith menteith is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post

"menteith" wrote in message

Could you tell me how to do this? I checked I do not see this option.
Thanks for this. The macro add a dot to every footnote I create which is not a thing I would like to have. Could you please rewrite this macro so that is does not add tab on-the-fly but it adds it when I run this macro? So when the document is finished I could run the macro and it would add a tab to every footnote which has not already started with a tab.
Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK, you don't want the period to be added after the footnote number? And you
want a version that can be used on existing footnotes? Try the following:

Sub InsertFootnoteWithTabChar()
'Code by Stefan Blom, MVP
Dim f As Footnote
For Each f In ActiveDocument.Footnotes

With f.Range.Paragraphs(1).Range
.Characters(1).Font.Reset
.Characters(2).Text = vbTab
End With
Next f

End Sub

The macro replaces the second character in each footnote paragraph with a
tab (by default, Word adds a space).

To run the macro, attach it to a keyboard shortcut and/or a button on your
Quick Access Toolbar. See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"menteith" wrote in message

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494893']Peter,

Thanks for your reply. You helped me notice a mistake. The line with
InsertAfter should include an instruction that adds a tab character:

Sub InsertFootnoteNow()
'Code by Dave Rado, modified by Stefan Blom
ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range
With Selection
.Paragraphs(1).Range.Font.Reset
.Paragraphs(1).Range.Characters(2) = ""
.InsertAfter "." & vbTab
.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End With
ActiveWindow.ScrollIntoView Selection.Range
End Sub

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

...-

-
[...]

"menteith" wrote in message
...-
--
Could you tell me how to do this? I checked I do not see this option.
---

Thanks for this. The macro add a dot to every footnote I create which is
not a thing I would like to have. Could you please rewrite this macro so
that is does not add tab on-the-fly but it adds it when I run this
macro? So when the document is finished I could run the macro and it
would add a tab to every footnote which has not already started with a
tab.
Thanks for your help!

--
menteith

menteith menteith is offline
Junior Member

Thanks, it works!

But there is a small problem: the macro (as the older version you have made) makes a footnote number bigger, that is, 1, 2 and so on get bigger when you run the macro. I do not know why is that.

Could you check it?

And would it be a problem if you could make this macro in two versions: one that adds a tab on-the-fly, and the other one the way it works now, that is, adds a tab to already written footnotes?

menteith menteith is offline
Junior Member

Dear Stefan,

It works flawlessly now but it always adds a tab even if it has already been added. Is there a way to avoid it, that is, to add a tab only when footnote has not already started with a tab? Thank you for your time and effort.

Could you also rewrite the script to add a tab on-the-fly as a footnote is added (as in your first version)?

Last edited by menteith : November 7th 13 at 08:52 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is a rather basic macro; it replaces the second character (that is, the
one following the footnote number) with a tab character. It isn't checking
for an already existing tab.

Are you saying that most footnotes already have a tab character? In that
case, modifying the Footnote Text style to include a hanging indent would
suffice.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"menteith" skrev i meddelandet

Dear Stefan,

It works flawlessly now but it always adds a tab even if it has already
been added. Is there a way to avoid it, that is, to add a tab only when
footnote has not already started with a tab? Thank you for your time and
effort.

Could you also rewrite the script to add a tab on-the-fly as a footnote
is added (as in your first version)?

--
menteith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By the way, if there is already a tab character, what precedes it? A space?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP