Welajust3d Welajust3d is offline
Junior Member

Default Formatting help

I've written a book in word 2010 and when I justify the text, it spaces out across an entire line, like this: for for for. How do I get a line that is not full of text to space correctly?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That can only happen with the last line of a "paragraph" that is ended with
a "line break" instead of a "paragraph break." It means that at the end of
a "paragraph," you typed Shift-Enter instead of Enter. If you turn on "Show
Non-Printing Characters" (Ctrl-Shift-8), you'll see a left-pointing right-
angled arrow instead of a backward-P paragraph sign.

There are two ways to fix this. (1) Change all the Line Breaks to
Paragraph Breaks (use Ctr-H "Find/Replace"; put the cursor in the upper
(Find) box, click "More" down below, then "Special" at the bottom, and
choose "Manual Line Break" just below the middle of the list -- this puts
^l in the "Find" box. Then go to the "Replace" box and go to "Special"
and "Paragraph Mark," the first item in the list. This puts ^p in the
box. Now click "Replace All." You can also just type ^l and ^p in the
boxes, but you don't actually have to remember the codes.)

(2) If for some reason you _want_ to have line breaks instead of paragraph
breaks, the way to keep them from spacing out the lines that end with them
is: Click "Office Button" in the upper left corner. Click "Word Options"
in the bottom frame near the lower right corner. Scroll all the way down
to the bottom of the panel and click "Layout options" (in very small type
at the very end). Find (the commands are in alphabetical order) "Don't
expand character spaces on a line that ends with SHIFT-RETURN." Click the
box to its left.

(3) One other possibility -- are you using Word like a typewriter, and
typing Shift-Return at the end of every line, instead of letting the text
break by itself? Don't do that. You can fix that the same as in (1) above,
but instead of ^p in the lower box, just type one space, and Replace All.

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:35:36 PM UTC-4, Welajust3d wrote:

I've written a book in word 2010 and when I justify the text, it spaces
out across an entire line, like this: for for for.
How do I get a line that is not full of text to space correctly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

You could also use the Left Justify option. The result is a ragged right,
just as in this message. But it will result in correct spacing of words.

Gordo

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should also verify that that you didn't inadvertently press
Ctrl+Shift+J (to "distribute" the paragraph) instead of Ctrl+J (justify).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP