Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HK HK is offline

Default How can I see the name of a bookmark that I have selected?

Hello,

I have a lot of bookmarks in a document and I want to be able to select one
somehow and see what the name is. Is there some way to do that? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

If you use InsertBookmark the bookmark at the current cursor location
is highlighted.

or you could assign a macro something like:

Sub Test()
MsgBox Selection.Bookmarks(1).Name
End Sub

to a keyboard shortcut.

HK wrote:
Hello,

I have a lot of bookmarks in a document and I want to be able to select one
somehow and see what the name is. Is there some way to do that? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can use the Insert | Bookmark dialog box to see the name of the
bookmark at the insertion point. The current bookmark name is
highlighted.

Note, however, that some name will be highlighted even if there is no
bookmark at the insertion point (could be the most recently inserted
bookmark), and this isn't so useful, obviously.

Therefore, you may want to start with displaying bookmarks: On the
Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Check the "Bookmarks"
option and click OK. Now you'll see brackets around bookmarked text:
[This text is bookmarked.] (For bookmarks that doesn't enclose any
text, you'll just see I.)

Alternatively, use a macro such as the following:

If Selection.Bookmarks.Count 0 Then
MsgBox "Bookmark name: " & Selection.Bookmarks(1).Name
End If

The macro should work with Word's hidden bookmarks, if you add the
following line before the If statement:

ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.ShowHidden = True

For assistance with the macro, see
http://gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.
--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"HK" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a lot of bookmarks in a document and I want to be able to

select one
somehow and see what the name is. Is there some way to do that?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note, however, that the grey brackets or I-beam are displayed only for
user-inserted bookmarks. There is no visual indication at all of the
"hidden" bookmarks that Word inserts when you create a TOC, index, or
cross-reference.

"HK" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a lot of bookmarks in a document and I want to be able to

select one
somehow and see what the name is. Is there some way to do that?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But it is possible to use the Bookmark dialog box to go to (that is,
select) hidden bookmarks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Note, however, that the grey brackets or I-beam are displayed only

for
user-inserted bookmarks. There is no visual indication at all of the
"hidden" bookmarks that Word inserts when you create a TOC, index,

or
cross-reference.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"HK" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a lot of bookmarks in a document and I want to be able to

select one
somehow and see what the name is. Is there some way to do that?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
terryc terryc is offline

"Therefore, you may want to start with displaying bookmarks: On the
Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Check the "Bookmarks"
option and click OK. Now you'll see brackets around bookmarked text:
[This text is bookmarked.] (For bookmarks that doesn't enclose any
text, you'll just see I.)" How do I find this in Word 2007? I need to
check if I missed inserting any bookmarks into my documents. thanks

"HK" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a lot of bookmarks in a document and I want to be able to

select one
somehow and see what the name is. Is there some way to do that?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Click the Office button (on the top left of the Word window), and then click
Word Options. You'll find the "Bookmarks" option in the Advanced category
(under the "Show document content" heading).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP