Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default Insert a future date

Thanks Graham.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Peter
From private correspondence it may have been an issue involving smart
quotes in the date switches, as I have sent the Chris a working copy of
the field and that works for him.

Peter Jamieson wrote:
I note that you are using a field called MYDATE

I was just using "mydate" as a sample name for a date field, to be
substituted by whatever date field name you might have. (cf. Graham's
use of "DATEFIELD"). But you don't have one anyway.

Using TIME instead of the MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD works fine here and
allows the merge, at least on Word 2003 - I haven't been able to
check with Word 2000.

Peter Jamieson

"Chris Stammers" wrote in
message ...
Dear Peter,

I note that you are using a field called MYDATE. The date field that
is being used is { TIME \@ "dd MMMM yyyy" }. Could that be making it
all fall over do you think? The letter date isn't being driven from
AS400. Does the 'mydate' function still populate today's date?

Regards,
Chris

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I get the impression that the problem could be that the date fields
coming
across from the AS400 are not treated as dates by Word. If Word
sees the field "mydate" as a date, then Word's date switches should
function, e.g. if
mydate is 13 June 2006, then

{ MERGEFIELD mydate \@YYYY }

should display as 2006,

{ MERGEFIELD mydate \@M }

should display as 6, and so on. This is crucial to the functioning
of the fields Graham describes.

If Word is not treating your AS400 dates as dates, either another
approach
is needed or you need to try to get it to do so. I don't know AS400
and don't have one to experiment with here, but
a. are the dates in something that is obviously a date field on
AS400? b. how are you connecting to the AS400? Do you use an ODBC
driver or an OLEDB provider? Do you know if the AS400
driver/provider implements a standard dialect of SQL?

Peter Jamieson

"Chris Stammers" wrote in
message
Hello,

I am also trying to do this (I need to add 14 days to todays
date). I picked
up a long string of code from one of the guys here which works
well on its
own however, when used in a mail merge document, the code
interferes with
the
merge fields and stops them working, so no letters are produced at
all. We
are using Word 2000 v9.0. Does anyone have any experience of this?
I should
perhaps say that the source data is coming from an AS400 system
rather than a
created Excel or Access file.

Thanks.
Regards,
Chris

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

This is more complex than you might imagine, but it can be done.
See http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm for information on
the different
kinds of ways to make a date calculation work. It includes links
to pages
with fields and an explanation of different macros that can be
used instead
of fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
http://addbalance.com/usersguide See also the MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

message news This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get
Word (2003)
insert a future date. For example, insert the date that is 30
days from
the
current date.

Thanks for any help. I can't believe the time I've spent trying
to figure
this out.