Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MartinCz MartinCz is offline

Default Automatic Blank page

Hi.

I have one more problem with Word 2003.

I want every my chapter to start at an odd page. The only way to make this
in a good formating way, as far as i know, is to make a separate section from
each of my chapter and set it to start at an odd page.

The problem is when one sections ends at an odd page. Word then adds a blank
page before the next section to make it start on the first odd page.

But the blank page lacks the heading I have everywhere set which i do mind,
because there should be the page number field. Now the reader can see
numbering like 13 - nothing - 15.

The only solution to make the header visible I can see now is to make blank
paragraphs with holding down Enter key for a while to make the first section
enter the even page.

And I am asking again... Is this a bug?

And HOW SHOULD I do this in a correct way?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

By default, Word suppresses headers and footers on filler pages. To change
this behavior, you will have to use fields instead of sections. See this
article:

Is there an automatic way to create a non-blank, even-numbered page at the
end of a chapter, if the chapter would otherwise end on an odd page?
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...nPgEndChap.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MartinCz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MartinCz MartinCz is offline

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad I could help--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MartinCz" wrote in message
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Although Stefan has given you the way to do what you want, note that
publishing convention is *not* to have headers, footers, or any other text
on these blank filler pages.

"MartinCz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Martin:

You have gotten good advice, but I'd like to add my approach as well.

We define our chapters as being in separate, odd-page sections. In the final
preprint check, we look for the unwanted "blank" verso pages, and insert a
manual page break before the section break.

This forces a header an footer to appear on the verso page, but no other text.

Also, I'm considering abandoning this approach all together and being
satisfied with blank verso pages, since (as Suzanne says) this is a
well-established and supported convention.

(I find that many of the contortions I forced Word to perform when I was a
novice are not actually required. I think the designers knew more about
publications than I did.)

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Note, though, that there are evidently *many* organizations that absolutely
require that any blank page be printed with "This page intentionally left
blank," paradoxical though it may be.

"Bear" (nospam) wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Suzanne:

Yes, but joy of joys, I'm the chief editor and designer here, so it's ME who
gets to make that call.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Lucky you. I'm in a similar position and wouldn't trade it for anything!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Note, though, that there are evidently *many* organizations that

absolutely
require that any blank page be printed with "This page intentionally

left
blank," paradoxical though it may be.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.