Brianna C.

Default Cross-Reference fields/links will not update - Word 2002

Someone in our office has a Word document where the cross-reference fields
will not update properly. I have done a Control + A, and F9, and the fields
will not update. I have copied and pasted (excluding the last paragraph
mark) the text into a new document, and it will not update properly. If
paragraph A becomes B, the cross-reference link takes you to the new A,
rather than B, which it should update to.

I have checked "Tools", "Options" and "Compatibility", and it says
"Recommended options for Microsoft Word 2002", which is what we are using.

Two different numbering styles are being used -- Outline Numbering (Article
1, 1.01, a., etc.) for the main body, and plain numbering (A, B, C) for the
preamble.

This document was based on an old document (possibly Word '97), and a
"cleanup" macro was used to get rid of any extra formatting in the document.
I tried to do some cross-referencing in a brand new document, and the
cross-referencing is not working properly in a clean document.
--
Brianna C.
Brianna C.

Just an Addendum: I note that if you put a return at the beginning of the
paragraph you are cross-referencing, the cross-reference will not update. If
you go the end of the previous paragraph and return (to insert a new
paragraph) the numbering will update -- is this normal?
--
Brianna C.

"Brianna C." wrote:

[...]

Margaret Aldis

Top marks for observation - you've solved your own problem:-)

If you insert anything at the beginning of the referenced paragraph, that
new text is placed within the hidden cross reference bookmark. So since in
your case that inserted paragraph becomes the new "A", the cross reference
will appear to stay static (at A) and point to the new pararagraph (the
start of the bookmark).

It's "normal" for Word - a PITA for everyone else :-( What would happen in a
well-regulated Universe is that the reference bookmarks would stay in the
paragraphs they start in, or be "tidied up" on field update, like TOC
bookmarks are these days.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP