Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PC Instructor PC Instructor is offline

Default Applying Multi-Level numbering to Table of Contents

In Word 2007, can you apply a multi-level numbering scheme to a Table of
Contents? For example, first level entries need to have roman numerals (I,
II, etc.) and second levels entires need to have lowercase letters (i.e.,
a,b,c, etc.). I tried to do this by defining a new list style, and it
applies the roman numerals to the Heading 1 entries but appears to drop the
Heading 2 entries from the Table of Contents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you saying that you want the TOC entries but not the actual headings
numbered? If so, just set up a multilevel list where the TOC 1 style is
attached to the first level of numbering, TOC 2 is attached to level 2, and
so on.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PC Instructor" wrote in message
In Word 2007, can you apply a multi-level numbering scheme to a Table of
Contents? For example, first level entries need to have roman numerals (I,
II, etc.) and second levels entires need to have lowercase letters (i.e.,
a,b,c, etc.). I tried to do this by defining a new list style, and it
applies the roman numerals to the Heading 1 entries but appears to drop
the
Heading 2 entries from the Table of Contents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use Home tab Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List to set up the
numbering that you want. Click the More button and be sure to associate a
paragraph style with each level of numbering.

For more on the general principles of numbering, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"PC Instructor" wrote:

In Word 2007, can you apply a multi-level numbering scheme to a Table of
Contents? For example, first level entries need to have roman numerals (I,
II, etc.) and second levels entires need to have lowercase letters (i.e.,
a,b,c, etc.). I tried to do this by defining a new list style, and it
applies the roman numerals to the Heading 1 entries but appears to drop the
Heading 2 entries from the Table of Contents.

Adding Multi-Level numbering to Table of Contents PC Instructor Microsoft Word Help 3 October 18th 09 12:22 PM
Multi level numbering Irene Microsoft Word Help 1 April 14th 09 09:39 AM
Multi-level Outlines, Styles & Table of Contents in Word 2007 Alan Microsoft Word Help 9 January 14th 09 04:10 AM
Multi-level numbering RR Page Layout 3 October 30th 08 10:06 AM
Multi-level numbering ZoryPR Microsoft Word Help 3 October 30th 06 01:10 PM