Word should open templates in Document format by default

Old June 23rd 06, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word should open templates in Document format by default

When opening templates from the [File | New... | Templates (sidebar) | On My
Computer] menu in Word 2003, the new document opens in whatever format
(Document or Template) I last used. This is obnoxious, because you seldom
create templates in comparison to using documents from them, but when a
template is being created, you want to test it a few times, and then use it.
I always forget to click the dot to open as a Document after I make or edit
the Template. The wizard should open the file as a Document by default when
the dialog is refreshed (reopened from the menu). In other words, if you
want to make a Template, your natural instinct is to choose the Template
option, but if you want a Document, you kind of expect it to just open as
such without prompting.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Old June 23rd 06, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should not be opening templates to use them. A new document created from
a template will not be a template.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Old June 24th 06, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you're referring to the New File Dialog box you see when you
click the "On my computer" link? And I think you are saying that the
Document or Template option is remembering the last option you
selected instead of defaulting to Document each time?

If that's the case then in Word 2007 the option always defaults to
Document.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Coby" wrote in message
When opening templates from the [File | New... | Templates (sidebar)
| On My
Computer] menu in Word 2003, the new document opens in whatever
format
(Document or Template) I last used. This is obnoxious, because you
seldom
create templates in comparison to using documents from them, but
when a
template is being created, you want to test it a few times, and then
use it.
I always forget to click the dot to open as a Document after I make
or edit
the Template. The wizard should open the file as a Document by
default when
the dialog is refreshed (reopened from the menu). In other words,
if you
want to make a Template, your natural instinct is to choose the
Template
option, but if you want a Document, you kind of expect it to just
open as
such without prompting.

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.