Ken from Australia

Default Word 2003 files twice as large as Word 2000 files

Why are .doc files saved in Word 2003 nearly twice as large (~2.4MB) as the
same file saved in Word 2000 originally (~1.2MB). Is it a setting in Word
2003?

Similarly I saved the same file from Word 2003 (~2.4 MB) in size to .RTF
format and the document was over 90 MB in size.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2VuIGZyb20gQXVzdHJhbGlh?=,

Why are .doc files saved in Word 2003 nearly twice as large (~2.4MB) as the
same file saved in Word 2000 originally (~1.2MB). Is it a setting in Word
2003?

Since Word provides more functionality in 2003 than 2000, the structures in
the document are larger than for Word 2000 documents. The same held true for
almost every new version.

WHAT is in the document can also play a role (graphics, tables...).

Another factor that can cause incresed file size is whether the structures in
an existing document are damaged. If they are, and the document is opened in a
newer version, then newer version can't convert existing structures, and
builds around them.

As to RTF: RTF (like HTML or XML) is much more verbose. It takes more room to
write the same information so that the information is fully exposed. So it's
no wonder an RTF file will be MUCH larger than a Word *.doc file.

Similarly I saved the same file from Word 2003 (~2.4 MB) in size to .RTF
format and the document was over 90 MB in size.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org