Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Simon is offline

Default Office 2007 Compatibility Pack

I run Word 2002 which came with Works Suite 2005. I also run XP which is
fully updated and I have the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed.
However, my Word 2002 will not open the new .docx documents - I just get a
zip file instead.

Looking at the various MS bulletins about the Compatibility Pack, they say
it works with Word 2002 "Standard Edition". Does anyone know if the Word
2002 version from Works Suite is indeed the Standard Edition? Any ideas
please as to how I can get my copy of Word 2002 to work with .docx.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 2002 is the same in all editions of Office XP and in Works Suite
2002-2006. Perhaps you only downloaded the Office 2007 compatibility
pack, but did not actually install it? See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923505/ "How to install the Microsoft
Office Compatibility Pack so that you can use earlier versions of Excel,
PowerPoint, and Word to open and to save files from 2007 Office programs".