Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Default I want to omit a field in a mail merge

I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only have their
Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName in the merge as I
use it for a large amount of other documents otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't use the
Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there another way of doing
it?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For any of your question to be relevant you must be using the AddressBlock
field. Don't! Insert the individual fields as you require them. You can then
use a conditional field to insert the FirstName field when a condition
applies eg
{IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield FirstName}"}

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Graham,

I have tried it with the AddressBlock. Unfortunately I have a number of
fields and cannot match them in the Required Information Match Fields
dialagoe box resulting in a lot of my information being omitted. I have
tried matching them in the Optional Information but this does not appear.

Unfortunately I cannot insert the fields after the AddressBlock as these
fields are required after the LastName and before Address1.

EMC

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I said don't used the AddressBlock! Remove the addressblock field from the
document and use instead the individual fields that make up the address

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
emc emc is offline

Graham,

Sorry - my head is full of mince today!

I'm afraid I'm not too clued up on mail merges and don't know what a
conditional field is. Can you please elaborate on this for me? My data
source is coming from Access in case that is a problem.

EMC

emc wrote:
I have a mail merge with Prefix, FirstName, Surname, etc.

For various reasons when sending out mail some people should only
have their Prefix and Surname shown. I need to have their FirstName
in the merge as I use it for a large amount of other documents
otherwise I would remove it.

I have tried the "If...Then...Else" but it doesn't work and I can't
use the Skip button as this is for the entire record. Is there
another way of doing it?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A conditional (IF) field is one that inserts (or fails to insert)
information when the condition applies. The example I quoted earlier
{IF{Mergefield FirstName} "Fred" "{Mergefield FirstName}"}
inserts the FirstName field when the firstname is anything other than Fred.
You have not said what conditions apply that you should omit the firstname.
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm should give you some
background to merges generally, but if you tell us what the relevant
fieldnames are and what conditions apply when you wish to insert them, I'll
tell you what to enter.
That data source is irrelevant. It is the fieldnames that matter and how you
want to display them.