Bert Coules

Default Envelope formatting - how to save?

I've tried searching for the solution to this, but come up with nothing so
far.

After typing a letter, I usually highlight the address and then select
"Tools/Envelopes and Labels" to print the envelope. The address invariably
comes up in the same font, which I then have to change to my preferred Times
New Roman; and the position of the address invariably comes up in the same
place, which I then have to adjust so it's where I actually want it.

Is there any way of saving these preferences so I don't have to keep
re-doing them?

I'm using Word 2000.

Many thanks,

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Jay Freedman

Bert Coules wrote:
I've tried searching for the solution to this, but come up with
nothing so far.

After typing a letter, I usually highlight the address and then select
"Tools/Envelopes and Labels" to print the envelope. The address
invariably comes up in the same font, which I then have to change to
my preferred Times New Roman; and the position of the address
invariably comes up in the same place, which I then have to adjust so
it's where I actually want it.

Is there any way of saving these preferences so I don't have to keep
re-doing them?

I'm using Word 2000.

Many thanks,

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

In the Format Styles dialog, select the Envelope Address style, click
Modify. Check the box for "Add to template". Click the Format button and
select Font from the menu. Set the font to your preference and click OK.
Click the Format button again and select Frame; then set the frame location
where you want it. Click OK in both dialogs. When you exit from Word, allow
it to save the changes to Normal.dot.

An alternative is to use the Add to Document button in the Envelopes dialog,
and save the resulting document as a template (change the "Save as type" box
in the File Save As dialog). Then use the template instead of the
Envelopes dialog for future envelopes.

See http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm for more help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Bert Coules

Jay,

Many thanks for that; I'll give it a go.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Jay,

Unfortunately...

In the Format Styles dialog, select the Envelope Address style, click
Modify.

I don't have an Envelope Address style in Format Styles. Actually, I
don't have *anything* in Format Styles: the box is blank.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Right-click in a text paragraph and choose Style..., then select Envelope
Address from the list.

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Jay,

Unfortunately...

In the Format Styles dialog, select the Envelope Address style, click
Modify.

I don't have an Envelope Address style in Format Styles. Actually, I
don't have *anything* in Format Styles: the box is blank.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Right-click in a text paragraph and choose Style..., then select Envelope
Address from the list.

I think it must be me. When I right-click in a text paragraph, I get a box
containing the following options:

Cut, Copy, Paste, Font, Paragraph, Bullets & Numbering, Hyperlink, Synonyms

No mention of Style, I'm afraid.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Jay Freedman

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:30:37 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Right-click in a text paragraph and choose Style..., then select Envelope
Address from the list.

I think it must be me. When I right-click in a text paragraph, I get a box
containing the following options:

Cut, Copy, Paste, Font, Paragraph, Bullets & Numbering, Hyperlink, Synonyms

No mention of Style, I'm afraid.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

No, it's not you; I see the same thing in the right-click menu (though
that's dynamic and shows different things depending on what kind of
text you click in).

Try the Format Style dialog again. In the lower left, set the List
dropdown to "All styles" before you look for Envelope Address. If the
list is still blank, there's something wrong with your Word
installation, as the built-in styles can't be deleted.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

If you can access the Style dialog with Format | Style, then you *won't* see
this on the shortcut menu. It was added in Word 2003 (or possibly Word
2002), and I only recently discovered it since I had already added a Format
Style button to my toolbar to replace the old menu entry (which now opens
the Styles and Formatting task pane). Word 2002 and 2003 users can also
access the dialog by selecting Custom at the bottom of the Styles and
Formatting task pane, then clicking on Style at the bottom of the ensuing
dialog.

wrote:

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

[...]

Bert Coules

Jay Freedman wrote:

Try the Format Style dialog again. In the lower left, set the List
dropdown to "All styles" before you look for Envelope Address.

Ah, that worked. Thanks. Following your earlier instructions, I've now
managed to establish Times New Roman as the default font, but I can't work
out the correspondence between the "Frame" options and positioning the
address on the envelope.

The Tools Envelopes... dialogue has a useful little preview display and
easily understood adjustments for setting the horizontal and vertical
position of the address, but the Format Styles Frames dialogue doesn't
seem to be related to this at all.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

If you can access the Style dialog with Format | Style, then you *won't*
see
this on the shortcut menu.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Thanks to Graham and Jay for the link. I'll work my way through the
instructions and see if I come out intact and unscathed at the other end.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk