Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stickcc stickcc is offline

Default Adding section names + page number into TOC

We have a large document (over 4000 pages) that we have divided into around
44 sections (single documents). We would like to add the section number or
initials for the section with the page number to the footers and have them
included in the TOC. I've read multiple posts and gone through the help
topics and now more confused than ever. Using 2003.
Here's what we would like to see in the footer:

XXXX PB - 1 XXXXX

and in the TOC:

(Name of section would be here as title)............PB-1

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Cheryl
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The *only* way you can add anything to a page number that will be picked up
by the TOC is to use the "Include chapter number" feature in the Format Page
Number dialog. And the "chapter number" must be the auto number of a
paragraph in one of Word's built-in heading styles. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"stickcc" wrote in message
We have a large document (over 4000 pages) that we have divided into
around
44 sections (single documents). We would like to add the section number or
initials for the section with the page number to the footers and have them
included in the TOC. I've read multiple posts and gone through the help
topics and now more confused than ever. Using 2003.
Here's what we would like to see in the footer:

XXXX PB - 1 XXXXX

and in the TOC:

(Name of section would be here as title)............PB-1

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Cheryl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stickcc stickcc is offline

I will have to study some more. I've looked at the article you referenced and
I'm not sure what they mean by this line
3. Your Headings must be numbered using Microsoft's automatic numbering
(use Format Style Modify Format Numbering to define the numbering).

I'm probably not explaining very well what I need to do and although I'm an
advanced Word user, the outline numbering is confusing to me.

Thanks for your quick reply. I hope it will be ok if I try to work on this
more and post again.

"stickcc" wrote in message
We have a large document (over 4000 pages) that we have divided into
around
44 sections (single documents). We would like to add the section number or
initials for the section with the page number to the footers and have them
included in the TOC. I've read multiple posts and gone through the help
topics and now more confused than ever. Using 2003.
Here's what we would like to see in the footer:

XXXX PB - 1 XXXXX

and in the TOC:

(Name of section would be here as title)............PB-1

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Cheryl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It means that the numbering of the heading must be part of the style, not
typed. It must be numbering applied by the Numbering dialog (or as a
numbered list in Word 2007).

http://word.mvps.org