Automatic File Names

Old April 18th 06, 01:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Automatic File Names

When a document was previously created, our users saved the document which
created an automatic file path name in the footer area. This no longer
happens and I cannot seem to get it to work. I have tried using the Field
Name function, but still cannot get this to work. Any ideas please?

Thanks
Shelagh

Old April 18th 06, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes it must have because it used to appear, but no longer does. I have tried
taking a copy of the normal.dot template to insert a field name for the file
path, but it still does not work.

Old April 18th 06, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You do not want to add *anything* to a header or footer in Normal.dot, nor
do you want to try to save any document or template as Normal.dot. Instead,
create a specific document template containing this footer and use it to
create the documents in question.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Presumably the template used to create the documents used to have a

FILENAME
field in the footer?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Old April 18th 06, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Normal.dot is used as the template basis for all of our documents created. We
have never had templates, so previously normal.dot must have had the footer
in it to create this automatically.

Old April 18th 06, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Normal.dot was ever renamed (to solve any kind of Word problem), it was
restored to its default state, and this footer would have been lost. That
does not change the fact that adding a header or footer to Normal.dot is
strongly discouraged. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

Old April 19th 06, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Many thanks for this Suzanne. It sounds like someone did make a change to the
original .dot which has now been overwritten.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards
Shelagh